Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished solo yesterday in the freezing rain/snow/fog/crap, north of Denver in a location known to hold a few pike. Started jigging with a glow perch chubby darter, and 10 minutes in, marked a nice fish on the flasher. Huge hit, and the fight was on. Nice fish, peeled drag, and after a good fight on my 12# mono, saw it was a nice size pike lip hooked. Attempted to turn the head into the hole a few times, but no dice. Final try, and the darter came unbuttoned. Total defeat!

After contemplating packing in, I decided to stick it out and chase flags. Caught several 18"-20" cookie-cutter pike, but couldn't find any bass. About an hour later, hooked a NICE fish on the tip-up, and fought hard for a few minutes. Brought it to the hole and found it was the same fish I lost earlier. Even had the marks on the lip from my darter. Total redemption!

Measured ~31" and 6.32 lbs. Not huge by most standards, but still my PB. Well worth sticking out the conditions for a rare second-chance fish.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Metro Area Pike ......NICE!! I have a sneaky suspission I may have heard of that place @ some point. Hmmm....... LOL

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
nice pike nate. glad you were able to get out. bummer about the bass though. I know how you love those through the ice.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm....didn't say "metro" pike. I said "North of Denver", which could mean many different things. ;)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Prob. just jumped the fence and hit R.M.A. ;) j/k j/k .... Or am I??

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cool story and nice pike. Precistance can pay off a lot of the time.
I had a big catfish do that to me afew years back. He broke me off and I caught him about an hour later with my jig still hooked in his mouth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts