Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Southern LA, what an awesome place!!! Before we left we were almost considering canceling the trip do to bad weather and tough fishing conditions, but I'm glad we didn't, we tore it up!! Weather sucked both days, very cloudy, rainy and tough to see fish, and the most intense thick fog I have ever seen, but our guides were excellent and put us on some fish. I spent both days out with Kirby LaCoure. Kirby is the man for numbers and finding a ton of fish in tough conditions. Both days the fish were super spooky (not really common for red fish) and really tough to see, but I got into some awesome fish and had really consistent action. I caught 12 the first day (lost a bunch of fish to bass sets, all that practice and I would still forget to strip set and lose fish)and stopped counting at 20 the second day, at one point in the morning I had 4 fish in 4 casts. Most fish were in the 10-15lb range, with the biggest for me @ 17lb. These things were bulldogs and fought better than any freshwater fish I have ever caught. I did have a few shots at bigger fish, a 23-26lb red that I bass set on and lost almost immediately, and a 30lb+ black drum that I cast at 7 or 8 times and it just would not eat. I also had a few sheepshead take, but i couldn't get a good hookset. 90% off my fish came on a purple and white clouser. My bosses went out with Bryan Carter both days and had a very different situation, only 7 fish total both days, but 5 of those fish were over 20lbs!!! Jim, the GM of the shop got one at 34lbs!! a freaking whale. Bryan is a big redfish master and hope to go out with him next time and get some big boys. For my 1st saltwater fly trip I couldn't be happier, pounded on some fish, ate some killer food, had some fun with my co workers and saw an amazing fishery. I cant wait to go back.

My 1st saltwater fish on the fly

Reds..

R.A.with a nice red

Cool Spots

·
Registered
263 Posts
RB - Nice fish!

I am headed down to NO for a few days in March. How far did you have to go out of NO to catch these guys. Looks like it might be worth grabbing a guide and having fun.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nice Rickabilly!!!

I'm from NOLA and have lived out here for the last 15 years and I never get tired of seeing those reds. I started fly fishing last year and have had one trip back to NOLA so far with success. I was able to catch one red on the long rod when I was there in Nov out of Delecroix.

My brother still lives there and has a boat that we fish out of Delecroix in but he never wants to let me try for the reds. He's always telling me that once we fill up the boat with speckle trout then I can fish for the reds. :)

I love south LA in the fall and winter but it is brutle in the summer.

Congrats on the reds and hopefuly you can get back down there sooner than later to chase them again.

My newest infactuation is carp. I am on a mission to catch one thru town this year. I saw my first one this past Saturday and can't wait for the temps to warm up to chase them.

Randy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice going on the "Big Nasty" and the reds!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nothing like a good guide. Them red are mean fish, as you've learned. Ha ha great fun. I chase them in S.C. ----- any who congrats

·
Registered
721 Posts
Now that sounds like a sick trip indeed! Thanks for posting up those pics, must have been fun catching those big guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts