Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started of Saturday Nov. 12, by scouting Carter Lake and it's surrounding waters.  I have lived in this area all of my life and can not ever remember this reservoir being this low which in numbers I would guess it to be one hundred feet low.  I checked the lake from many locations and did not happen to see any movement from the kokanee in there usuall staging areas, i.e. dam 1 and/ or the south baot ramp.  The water levels at Flatiron and Pinewood were only a touch below full and the wind was howling fierce and cold.  I you all can remember, this was the day that trees, in the high country, were being snapped in two by hurricane force winds... very unfishable conditions.  With my tail between my legs I scampered down the mountain for shelter and hopes of the wind to take a evening break.  My wish did not come as the wind only intensified.  I decided to night fish a while at Lake Loveland for walleye along the wind beaten south shore along Hwy. 34.  I figured every thing would be in my favor as far as conditions were concerned.  I had low light conditions, cool water temperature, and a strong wind blowing into a rip rap shoreline.  I was throwing a size 9 suspending Rapala Husky Jerk in rainbow finish.  I walked up and down the shoreline for only an hour and didn't catch any.  With the immense wind it was really hard to cast and once in the water my lure and line was impossible to keep track of.  With the rip-stop-and twitch retrieve it is essential to be aware of lure and line at all times.  Even after bieng wind whipped and cold I still had a great time.

·
0 Posts
Re: Loveland area conditions report

Fishmanlee,awesome report ;) ;) ;)I wonderd about Pinewood and Flatiron. Maybe I go to Pinewood and fish for Muskies over the weekend,weather permitted ,again a great report,thank's

I

·
0 Posts

Well fishman doesnt sound to pleasent and sometimes stuff like that will happen. Theres no beating mother nature

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah Irishman, I'm like you and your cousin. I will often brave terrible conditions and physical extremes just to try and get those little devils to bite the end of my line. Plus, It's a great way to get away from people. Excesive wind makes fishing very tough. I will however hit Carter very hard at some point this weekend and will be able to bring all of you an in-depth report on the trout and kokes (hopefully).

·
Registered
578 Posts

fishmanlee,
I wonder if I have ever seen you in this area? I live in Loveland and I am a regular at all the local fishing holes. I am the long haired tattooed guy that is always harrassing the local rivers, ponds and lakes!

·
Registered
24,511 Posts

Nice job FishManLee!!!...that wind was intense...I started getting worried about flying debris...Joe was telling me at the time that the front range was supposed to get 60 to 80 mph sustained gusts...all I could think of was the movie Twister where they were driving next to the lake...and she uttered "COW!" as one came drifting by in the air...and a few moments later as another drifted by and he uttered "SAME COW!"....bwhaahaahahahahahaaa

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those damned ol' cattel.  Normaly it's them that has to worry about getting hit in the head, not the other way around.  Hey scorpion, I bet we have crossed paths before just look for the purple truck and tou know it'll be me.  Yeah, I know... I drive a purple truck!

·
Registered
578 Posts
fishmanlee said:
Those damned ol' cattel.  Normaly it's them that has to worry about getting hit in the head, not the other way around.  Hey scorpion, I bet we have crossed paths before just look for the purple truck and tou know it'll be me.  Yeah, I know... I drive a purple truck!
Purple????!!!!! Lol 8) That's okay, I drive a white Mazda 626 and a red Dodge Ram 1500.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
lol I drive a purple truck too except I am from Fruita. Glad to see there is another person that drives a purple truck besides me...makes me feel less crazy :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts