Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Lower Ark while the rest of you guys were sitting on the couch eating chips and salsa :p

The wind was howling when I got to the river, and it blew all day. The water level has also dropped a bit since last week, and the fish were very sloooow to take a fly. I think many of the fish moved out of their usual spots when the water went down, and they're now hanging out in the deeper holes.

Anyway, started fishing below the cement plant and found some rising fish. The usual midge hatch was going strong and I was able to hook into one small bow on an RS2 (olive). There were about a dozen fish actively feeding, but I couldn't get anything else to take a fly once I caught the little bugger...he must have been the sacrificial fish or something.

I moved back upstream and started fishing deeper. I used a size 16 red copper john as my top fly and a size 18 pheasant tail variant (my own sick design) as a dropper. I dropped the ph on about 16 inches of 2lb test Vanish and fished the rig under a strike indicator.

Takes were VERY light, with the indicator just pausing for a moment before moving on. Once I figured out what was happening, I pulled up on the pause and caught this nice 'bow. Had several more strikes in the same hole, but couldn't get anything else hooked up.

If the water remains at its current level, the fish should become active again in the next day or so. The midge hatch gets going at around 11 and goes strong until after 1 in the afternoon. It can be pretty awesome when the fish are up and eating.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Olive or orange scuds ought to work. You may also want to throw some tiny - size 20 or smaller - blue quills. They make a very good midge cripple imitation. I would tie them on a size 20 2x long hook for the best effects.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts