Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to try the lower Gunnison, so I packed up the boat and the dog and headed down there for the weekend. Called the FLYFISHGEEK on Friday, but he was working a show in Salt Lake, so it was just me and the mutt. My wife took one look at the weather report and said no way. Smart girl. 30+ mph winds on Saturday, and heavy runoff from the north fork made the float down the Lower Gunnison a long arduous affair. I had three beers, 4 aspirin and went to bed.

Decided to hike up above Pleasure Park on Sunday. The water is pretty clear, and another spot I wanted to see. Took a couple small rainbows on blood worms.

Took this little rainbow on a blood worm.

Then switched to an olive wooly bugger and took this nice brown.

This is my Llewellin Setter, Murphy. Not a great picture but you can see the Gunnison and the canyon in the background.

Took this picture of a bizarre green ooze on the side of the canyon wall. It must be 12-15 feet high. Not sure what it is, but it was strange.

Went to a big stone fly nymph and a red San Juan Worm and took a few more fish. Then a 5 hour drive back to Pine, CO. Long day. Glad I got to fish the Gunnison, looking forward to it when the salmon fly hatch starts up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That green ooze has always been there. There is a tiny little spring that it develops on. The ice from that spring/ooze has caused me to fall on my keester more than once in the past 30 winters. Glad you sampled some of my local fare.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice. I guess "I've seen that green ooze" is a fly fisherman's equivalent of "I've seen those rocks" for a walleye fisherman.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
That's a very pretty Dog you have there! Nice report..

D.J.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Really bummed I was out of town! I am glad you got to see the area and go a little fishing in.
Geek, yeah, me too. I was looking forward to fishing with you. Another time. I liked what I saw of the Gunnison.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
djfisherman2 said:
That's a very pretty Dog you have there! Nice report..

D.J.
Dj, thanks. He's just 2 years old and full of energy. He had a great first year bird hunting, then this past season he lost his mind and ran around bumping birds like a freakin buzz bomb. I think he's got all the tools and certainly the desire, now it just has to be reigned in. He may have to go to reform school!!

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Fisher-man said:
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Really bummed I was out of town! I am glad you got to see the area and go a little fishing in.
Geek, yeah, me too. I was looking forward to fishing with you. Another time. I liked what I saw of the Gunnison.
And you really didn't see the good stuff. Dubbn has a hole up there just full of monsters :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Few buddies and I hiked down Duncan last weekend despite the weather report of wind. Earliest I have been down in the gorge so didn't know what to expect. Fishing was tough, landed a hand-full, one Bow was in pre-spawning mode, I believe, bright pink and developing that salmon like jaw. Beautiful fish. Pic on the other guys camera and it seems like he is slacking sending to me. Will attach once I get it. Wind was terrrible. Had stronger gust before but this seemed like a constant blow that actually had us sitting for a while. That's spring for ya. Flows were up in the 1k, stones/hares ears/midges. Tried the bacon and eggs, no luck???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts