Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The poudre has been consistantly good for the past few weeks with some exceptions due to weather. pick your spinner of choice and look for slightly faster or riffly water...work the calm spots or slower flows near shore. Reel just ahead of the current and hang on!

Browns and rainbows 8-15" have been the norm. I've been seriously outfishing fly-guys with this technique. It's fun to make them jealous  O0

The flows have picked up dramatically in the last week and the water is lightly tea colored with lots of flotsam and jetsam in it but the fish are very active and agressive which makes a few hours on the river fun fun fun.

I hit the river today with the usual results...caught 20 or so fish in a couple hours, lots more hits. Kyak traffic is starting to pick up so expect the fish to spook for a few minutes after a kyak rolls by.

I don't mind the kyakers because they're curteous and sober. I hate the tubers though, dunk, obnoxious, and constantly littering the river with crap. I saw 2 drunk ones almost go over a spillway last summer, boy were they paddling like maniacs to get to the bank!

good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
What do ya mean by this?

Reel just ahead of the current and hang on!

New to fishing the Poudre and would like to try it out!!!

·
0 Posts
I'm sure what he means is to reel fast enough that the spinner is working if you cast up stream. That's the way I did it when I used to fish the Poudre alot years ago.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10 Guage has it...Reel just faster than the current to keep the spinner working and hang on because the trout will be attacking it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you sure the fly guys were jealous or just thinking "why does this guy use hardware when he could have more fun and more of a challenge using flies"?

Seriously, as a fly guy, I'd rather catch one fish to your ten. For me, there is much more satisfaction in knowing I caught the fish on a fly I tied, using a pole I made, and using skills I developed or taught myself. Chucking hardware is no secret and relatively easy to master.

There really is a reason those guys have that look on their face.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grandpa, you are entitled to your opinion but that attitude is the reason I have my opinions about flyfishing. I can flyfish and have caught many fish doing it but I prefer to spinfish.  I can still make my own lures and rods if I chose to and it does take skill to 'throw hardware', skills I 'developed and taught myself'.

I was merely being a smartass, but you have confirmed my 'elitist flyfisherman' suspicions. I'd rather catch 10 fish to your one...or 20 to your one as it has been lately and you can stand on the bank feeling superior in your $1000 fly fishing uniform thinking smug thoughts. I will be catching fish in the river and having a good time knowing that trout really just want to eat a shiny goo-gaw floating down the river rather than an exquisitely tied fly because they're just fish, not superintelligent beings from planet X.

·
Registered
171 Posts
come on farmer ted, you really think that flyfishers are jelous of you. Come on bro, you look like a schmuck for saying that. And let me fill you in on somthin. You are not the only one catching fish on the Poudre. I was up that way last week and landed 25 fish on every fly in the book. It's not exactly the hardest river to fish. ::)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I'm the only one catching fish and I could care less who does or doesn't. I was just trying to be funny. and yes, I did have a couple flyfisherman watching me a week or two ago and asking me what I was catching all my fish on and I told them, no biggie. One guy said he would bring a spinning rig next time. There are many techniques available to catch fish, I like to try them all. It's not my fault that some people don't have a sense of humor and get all defensive when I poke a little fun at them and feel the need to make smug, self righteous statements.

If you'll note in my report I tried to give information that would be valuable to anyone who fishes the river, not just spinfishermen.

I guess I'm a schmuck, whatever.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The whole idea of fishing is to enjoy the scenery, get away and charge up
your batteries and just have fun. If someone catches something using either
bait or lures or flies, who cares? If you're going to be self-righteous and have
your nose up in the air, maybe you're missing some strikes ;D Relax, and
have some fun....life's too short!

·
Registered
90 Posts
its fishing & this is the bs that keeps me from even wanting try flyfishng whats the deal cant all fisherman just get along.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes we need to all just get along. I mean just because Farmer Ted has an opinion about Flyfisherman doesn't mean he's not entitled to say so. I'm sure there are Flyfisherman that think the same thing about spin fisherman and they have just as much of a right to think what they want, but it does come down to where we are stereotyping. I too find myself doing it. Its a matter of just knowing that everyone is different, we all will fish our own ways. We can't just base what we think about someone just by how they fish or how they look cause one fisherman who looks like they are the nicest person in the world might keep undersized fish, or the guy that looks like a bum or total ***** might give you a bait he's using so you can catch a fish. I know where Farmer Ted is coming from with Flyfisherman since I myself have had bad experiences, but I've also had just as many with spin fisherman. Be proud of the fish you catch and how you catch them, as long as its legal ;) Know that you caught the fish with the experience and knowledge you have of fishing. Let each be his own fisherman.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me the 'lower poudre' means everything from the narrows to just above fort collins. I'm sure others have their own definitions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great report! Ive noticed the water color is getting darker and darker. Can you find trout in the Poudre as the runoff begins. Ive only fished it in the fall.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
it sure seems that though fly people are depicted as the arrogant ass holes of the world, there certainly seems to be more shots fired our way by the bait and spin guys then we are throwing at them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PescadoDiablo4 said:
it sure seems that though fly people are depicted as the arrogant ass holes of the world, there certainly seems to be more shots fired our way by the bait and spin guys then we are throwing at them.
This is probably a true statement pescado. I will admit that I did fire a shot...more of a jab, really and it was meant to be harmless.

I just want to point out that the flyfisherman who responded the way he did made himself look like an arrogant ass, not anyone else. We need to have a sense of humor in our lives, this is the only way not to go insane. If you want to make a jab a spinfishermen, go ahead...I can take it and I'll just give a smartassed comment back. ;D

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I carry both a flyrod and a backup spin rod, so I hate myself. :mad: I use a fly and a bubble once in a while, and I toss microspinners (I make them myself) and small tubes with a flyrod. I'm confused half the time and I'm trying to perfect the flyfishers' look of contempt when I look at myself in the mirror.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts