Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lower Poudre is fishing well despite very low flows.  I wasn't planning on fishing today, but my wife suggested throwing the poles into the truck to fish on the way home from a hunting scouting trip- sure glad I did!!  We came into one hole that was holding many 16+ bows, with several ~24"/3-4lb.  I lost count of how many we caught but it was at least 8 between the two of us in 20 minutes, smallest ~ 17" biggest ~ 23".  A couple of flyfishermen were being "impolite" (actually much more than that) so we left early.

One more thing of interest....One of the large rainbows had two large fins, , a large set of gills, and a bunch of fish guts in his stomach!  Either that trout ate a stocker trout, or someone cleaned a fish in the river and he gobbled up the entrails.  I've never seen that before.

M

·
0 Posts
man, where dont u catch nice fish

very cool stuff, always a good idea to have the rods with u

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
very nice bows those are huge , i cant believe fly fishermen sometimes, nothing agaisnt them , but they tend to get closer and closer to were your fishing sometimes, anyways very nice report

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
great report and nice fish. Drifted worms?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Those are some great looking fish!!

kokaneeking said:
very nice bows those are huge , i cant believe fly fishermen sometimes, nothing agaisnt them , but they tend to get closer and closer to were your fishing sometimes, anyways very nice report
Its not just fly fisherman, since I've been fishing here in this state it seems like there is always someone moving closer and closer to you if you are on fish. I dont mind coming over and talking to me and then fishing next to me but dont just mosie over and fish ontop of my line and not say hi atleast.

F

·
0 Posts
nice fish basshunter and wife!!!! I had the same problem on the poudre this weekend. I usually have the problem with flyfisherman either trying to fish the same hole as me or wading right through it. There should be a mutual respect among outdoorsman no matter what method they prefer to catch fish.

F

·
0 Posts
yea its pretty frustrating but for the one of two idiots that piss me off. There are 5 great friendly outdoorsman/woman that I meet out in the field or stream. It makes dealing with rude people a little easier to handle. Another way to look at it....if these people don't obey simple common courtesy's they obviously don't spend to much time in the outdoors, and its very unlikely you will ever see them again.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
fishinguitars said:
yea its pretty frustrating but for the one of two idiots that piss me off. There are 5 great friendly outdoorsman/woman that I meet out in the field or stream. It makes dealing with rude people a little easier to handle. Another way to look at it....if these people don't obey simple common courtesy's they obviously don't spend to much time in the outdoors, and its very unlikely you will ever see them again.
the flyfishing guides on the roaring fork and colorado (in the glenwood area) are almost all extremely rude. (I have met 3 guides in the state bridge area and all were nice) I think they hate seeing us in our pontoon boats not guided and catching more fish than they and their clients are. I think they also don't like it cuz some of their clients might get the idea that, "hey those guys have pontoon boats, are catching more fish than us, and have no guide. If I spent my 1000 dollars for this trip on a pontoon boat and gear I'd still have money left over and have just as much fun as well as have my own stuff.
They also don't like someone with a 30 dollar pole and 40 dollar reel is catching fish left and right whereas they are using gear that is maybe worth 1000 dollars and catching one here and there.

D

·
0 Posts
Geez-

Why all the bashing of the group that you don't happen to be part of??? In this case, why go so far out of your way to bash fly fishermen and their guides?

I've encountered rude bait fishermen, rude spin fishermen and, occassionally, a rude fly fisherman. I fish all different ways. And I certainly don't think any group has a monopoly on proper stream etiquette, or on boorish behavior.

As for fly fishing guides, the guides I have floated with in Colorado (on the Roaring Fork and the Gunnison - a total of 4 days) have always been very careful to give wading anglers as much room as possible and have rowed to the other side of the river to avoid disturbing the water the waders were fishing.

This same old "stuff" really gets old. I think it's ******.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Don In Denver said:
I've encountered rude bait fishermen, rude spin fishermen and, occassionally, a rude fly fisherman. I fish all different ways. And I certainly don't think any group has a monopoly on proper stream etiquette, or on boorish behavior.
That is all the more that needs to be said about that, on this post... It is over shadowing the great fish they caught.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amen to that epic! I'll be less specific about what type of fisherman was rude next time. Everybody has opinions about everything....sorry, my fault.

N

·
0 Posts
the flyfishing guides on the roaring fork and colorado (in the glenwood area) are almost all extremely rude.
Careful TFB, there are some personal friends of mine and Gods that guide in that area. Also try not to generalize, do you have any idea how many guides operate in that very large area?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Forget people and their rudeness, look at them rainbows! Pigs, I tell ya!

NICE!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Great fish!!! You ought to consider changing your handle because all we see are the hog trout you and your lady catch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice fish basshunter!!!  It can ruin a good day when others in our sport are not kind!!  Had a few fly fishermen give me the run around as well on some streams!  I would like to see them spin fish for one day and then give  you the don't belong here attitude.  I have fly fished for years and only started getting into fishing with spinning gear the last couple of years and I swear it takes more skill to present the lure vs. the fly on a lot of streams.

I

·
0 Posts
Nice Catch Basshunter........All of them. Where did you find a wife like that. Loves to fish and looks like shes pretty good at it. As far as the rude anglers, all you can do is laugh at it cause you know as well as they do that your knockin em dead and they havent had a bite. its just funny to me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Great fish, BH.

kokaneeking said:
Fly or spin fishermen? What's the difference? Both fish with hook and line. Depending on the situation, each method can outperform the other if the fisherman is skilled. Fly fishing has really developed it's own culture. It used to be something for gentlemen. Now, everyone who flyfishes seems to think they're a de facto gentleman, despite their true demeanor. On the other hand, one several occassions when catch-n-release fly fishing, I have been acosted by spin fishermen who were PO'd not so much that I was catching more fish than them, but because I was doing so in front of them, and then releasing them! They thought I was taunting them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts