Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been so long since I've posted, it took me a while to remember how to post pics! Runoff has been going strong the last several days, and as with every year the fishing has been phenominal! The numbers and size of the fish are up, with many 18"+ fish present in the lower reaches.

Don't let high, murky water deter you from giving the river a try. There are many reasons why the runoff period gives up soooo many big fish, but success requires some creativity. Think big, bright, and close to shore.

I love fishing the river when its big and loud!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Those are some nice footballs! Good job, I'll have to give it a shot in the next day or two. Thanks for the report

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
drifting bait??? Always nails em :) nice hook placement too on the first fish! Beauties!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, drifting bait can be very productive, and almost necessary in some places - as the flow rate at the surface is often too strong for other techniques. It's fun fishing this time of year because fish can be caught on setups and lures that would freak fish out any other time.
I threw in that top pic cuz that fish was caught on a modified worm drifting setup, and the fish is obviously hooked right in the chops! I rarely catch deep-hooked fish using worms, a common misconception of using real bugs for bait. In fact, the last fish that had to be kept on a fishing outing was caught flyfishing - a trout that swallowed a wooly-bugger that got caught up in its gills.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Awesome fish for the Poudre. Looks like you found some big ones. Lower Poudre in Town? I always think of the Lower as anything below the North Fork? Those fish give me faith that this river is still healthy. Awesome post.

Poudre is my home river and love fishin it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts