Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fished twice now with my new Lowrance fish finder.  I am happy to report that the returns in flasher mode are indeed instant.  I am also happy to report that the bottom zoom feather in vertical flasher mode is really cool, and that the vertical mode allows you to more easily see fish when they are down there and gives you a little record of the fishes behavior over the last several seconds on the graph... sweet! 

I caught the first few fish with it in shallow water (12-16 feet deep), and in 3 of four cases in those depths, I saw the fish at the same moment I began feeling tugs (small sonar cone, so you don't see the fish until they are right beneath you).  I moved to 25 feet of water, and this is where the magic really happens...  I droped a tubejig into the water, and as it dropped, three solid marks began to move up in the water column, but overshot the jig, as it dropped.  I could see they were still in the sonar field, so I brought the jig back up to their level and wiggled it - BAM!  Fish on!

Moved to new hole, dropped tube jig in and this time stopped it 10' off the bottom.  I could see that fish were moving through above the jig, but just as I was about to life the jig up to their level, a heavy mark started up off the bottom,  so I stayed put.  The fish stopped for a second at the level of my jig, I wiggled it a little, and BAM!

It was exactly how fishing with finder was supposed to work, and I now have decided that I will not be fishing very often without it in the future.  I wasn't sure it was going to help that much, but now I can really see how much difference it can make.  My buddy was fishing blind a few feet away.  With no idea what depth the fish are at, or whether there are even any under your hole, you really are at a disadvantage.  He didn't do as well as I did.

Best part of the whole deal is that the finder has a circular and vertical flasher mode, with graph, GPS to mark locations, cost about $150 to buy and rig for ice fishing with a little plywood and PVC pipe. Sweet deal, and I already think it was worth it. Vexilar? I don't need not stinking $300-500 Vexilar! I'll be able to use my finder during open water, too. I'm lovin' it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should meet me at one of the Red Feather Lakes, or even Chambers, and try it out.  I'm hoping to get to Chambers on 1/1.  Here's a picture of my fishfinder rig:

I'm going to replace the transducer with either an ice fishing transducer or just replace the PVC rig with something that I can compact a little better. The PVC transducer holder you see here rotates in two directions to allow me to level the transducer easily on uneven ice surfaces, and so I can make it at least a little smaller to pack in and out.

The box is 5/16" plywood, glued with polyurethane glue, and urethane coated for waterproofness. It's light and durable - has a slide-in plexiglass window in front of the finder to prevent damage to the finder during the sled ride. When I need to hit buttons, I just slide it up far enough to push the buttoms and I'm good to go. I love it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the M52 S/GPS model. Cabelas did a special purchase deal in November, and were selling it for $150. I applied some grand opening rebate dollars I got from them to the purchase and got it for $105. Came with tranducer and all that jazz. The GPS on it is only really good for marking waypoints, as it has no built-in map, and no map download capabilities. I figured I could do without a mapping GPS on a fishfinder. If I can't see what part of a lake I'm on, I've got other troubles. Anyway, I will probably not use the GPS for much other than marking a few key fishing spots that are otherwise hard to zero in on after snowstorms, etc...

The unit I got does everything the X67c does, and most of what the M68 does (circular and vertical flasher with graph), Bottom zoom on a split screen, etc. etc... The only thing it doesn't have, and which I am not really envious of, is a color display. The color displays seemed very busy and hard to look at at times when I checked them out in the stores.

So, that's the whole scoop.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is that the color one? I was thinking about getting one of those if I can ever get the money saved up. I did not need a color one before and my Eagle use to do the trick but it has not been working well lately and marking way late. The set up you have looks awesome and for $150 that is a great deal. Nice set up.

B

·
0 Posts
hey cut, you can use a vexilar ice ducer, lowrance makes a solder on connector that will solder right onto the ice ducer, the iceducer are real nice, just drop them in the hole,

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks great Cutt! I really like the plex cover for protection idea... smart! Bobco has a great idea on the vex transducer, you'll love that feature too I'd bet. Talk to Gene at the Gander in Thornton, that is what he did too. See you on the ice! Looney

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chief Nocatchum said:
Is that the color one? I was thinking about getting one of those if I can ever get the money saved up. I did not need a color one before and my Eagle use to do the trick but it has not been working well lately and marking way late. The set up you have looks awesome and for $150 that is a great deal. Nice set up.
You won't find a color one at the price I found this one (it's monochrome), but when I compared both at a local store, I actually preferred the simpler, single-color flasher display.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TAL0362 said:
Vexilar? we don't need no stinking vexilar.
Funny, I had typed that at the end of one of my earlier posts and then deleted it so I wouldn't start a war.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bobco said:
hey cut, you can use a vexilar ice ducer, lowrance makes a solder on connector that will solder right onto the ice ducer, the iceducer are real nice, just drop them in the hole,
fishinlooney said:
Looks great Cutt!  I really like the plex cover for protection idea... smart!  Bobco has a great idea on the vex transducer, you'll love that feature too I'd bet.  Talk to Gene at the Gander in Thornton, that is what he did too.  See you on the ice! Looney
Thanks for the above advice.  I will compare the vex ice-ducer/solder connector option (pricewise) with the ice transducer available online from the Lowrance-Eagle (LEI) accessories.  Their ice fishing transducer Part 106-68 can be ordered on the LEI-extras website

http://www.lei-extras.com/store/search.asp?SearchType=Category&Category=200+khz+transducer

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Cutthroat,

I cut a small piece off of my daughters swimming pool noodle cut a slit half way through added a piece of wire (coat hanger) to stabilize everthing, some electrical tape, and it works almost like the ice fishing transducers. Just drop it in the hole.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could do something like that. My wife has some noodles for when the nieces/nephews visit. She'll never notice - except that she fishes with me a lot of the time...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just dont get caught...... Blame it on the grand kids no one ever gets made at them...LOL
Thanks for the input I agree the color is not really worth the extra money.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For grandkids, we would have to first have kids, but I'm sure I could find someone to blame it on.

·
0 Posts
You are the man cutthroath,no dowd,hopefuly we can meet soon again,I went to Boyd today,the Ice was about3to4.1/4''thick .It took me less than five minutes to drill eight holes;I was over at ''Herron''and I was hopping to get into some Crappies and maybe perch,but nothing, stop to get some beer at the Liquor Store on the way home and got drunk in my house,....it has been a good day....
Thank you all, and a good night!!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ouch, thin ice... Sounds like it's time to stay off Boyd for awhile!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Bobco, where can one find the solder on connector to hook up an iceducer to a Lowrance unit? I have searched and searched to no avail, please help!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts