Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm upgrading my electronics and was planning on the Lowrance hds 7 for the main and the 5 up front, but now the "Hook" series is out. Looks like quality technology for a cheaper price. anyone hear any pros or cons about this series??

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Alright guys, I'm upgrading my electronics and was planning on the Lowrance hds 7 for the main and the 5 up front, but now the "Hook" series is out. Looks like quality technology for a cheaper price. anyone hear any pros or cons about this series??
The hook series is a re-branding of the Elite Chirp models. Still great units but not the same features you get with an HDS model. Have you looked at the new TI units? Basically the same features as the HDS Gen 2 at a good price and the all in one transducer.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
I have last years elite-7 CHIRP. I can't see what other features it needs?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've got the now hook 5 portable with gps. I use it ice fishing and planning on using it with a suction cup ducer on my skiff in Alaska.
Good luck with it so far.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We started running the HDS 7 in many of our commercial boats, my guys love it. Get the Navionics Western Lakes chip too. We have had problems with the Lowrance GPS antenna and have switched over to Garmin antennas.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,
I guess the big benefit with this series is that it has CHIRP, at a lower cost. The Hook7 is 499.00, haven't looked at the TI series. All I know is anything I get will be a HUGE upgrade from the old Eagles that I have on the boat now.

My other question: Do I need a different type of transducer if it is going up front on the trolling motor, verses on the back of the boat? Looks the the 83/200 kHz transducer is the standard.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
Johnny, yes it's a different transducer and you can't use the U2 built in the motor, the Downscan is the difference. They make a mount you can attach the transducer to the bottom of your motor but then you risk pinching the cable while stowing or dropping the motor. If this is the way you go I have the mount I didn't use and you can have it, I just ran mine to the back.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Thanks guys,
I guess the big benefit with this series is that it has CHIRP, at a lower cost. The Hook7 is 499.00, haven't looked at the TI series. All I know is anything I get will be a HUGE upgrade from the old Eagles that I have on the boat now.

My other question: Do I need a different type of transducer if it is going up front on the trolling motor, verses on the back of the boat? Looks the the 83/200 kHz transducer is the standard.
I just picked up the hook-7 last week, going to go and install it on my boat in a couple weekends. I too have been using old eagle fishfinders so either way I've upgraded immensely. I too was curios about the trolling motor transducer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts