·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Ask Hobie, he loves his...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
The display is not bright enough for my liking.
I agree. Tough to see on those bright, sunny Colorado days. I have one and a Marcum....I usually lean towards the Marcum although I love the digital display and the different modes (very useful). Finding depth is uber easy and the scroll mode is fun! If you think a flasher is like a video game, the scrolling mode on the Lowrance is awesome!

Trout said:
There was a used one on C L a few days ago for $140
Saw that...that's a good deal Andy!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have rented Vexilar units for a couple of days and I own a couple X-67's. After using both, I prefer the scrolling sonar screen on the X-67 as opposed to the flasher screen. I like to have the few seconds of "history" shown on the screen to help one understand what you did with your jig and how the fish reacted to your presentations. For those that haven't used a sonar unit in the sonar screen, it shows a few seconds of history as the screen scrolls from right to left - but real time on what your jig and the fish are doing is at the far right side of the screen as it scrolls. This is different than flasher units, where they are always real time with no history. The nice thing about the X-67 is that you can use either the sonar screen or the flasher screen - it is nice to have both options depending on the screen view that you like.

As far as zooming, the X-67 can be zoomed in I beleive up to 8x the normal view, and the FL-20 can be zoomed into different depths like 6-12' off of the bottom.

They both are nice units, but the X-67 will be a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Fl-20 or the FL-22, and have the option of the flasher or sonar screen.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
zman said:
Ask Hobie, he loves his...
Yep ... love mine. It's also great out of the toon for open water.

For ice, here's how I set mine up....

I turn Auto Sensitivity Off ....Auto Depth Range Off...In Flasher mode...Ice Machine On...Split Screen On...Split Screen Zoom 4x in Flasher and LCD mode...Ping Speed max...Chart speed max...Adjust my Colorline...Surface Clutter rejection max...Set manual depth on split screen to a five foot increment...You can move up or down on the split screen anywhere in the water column using two or four x zoom...I set mine on the 4x zoom.

If fishing shallow weeds, I set the bottom as just below the top of the weeds and read up. Adjust the sensitivity to lose the weeds and still see my jig. If fishing next to another flasher with cone overlap...turn noise rejection on high.

Once you set it up, the memory will save your settings...From then on, when moving from lake to lake you'll only need to adjust your sensitivity and depth ranges... I use the sonar screen most of the time rather than the flasher for the same reasons BabvHuey mentioned.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
BabyHuey said:
I have rented Vexilar units for a couple of days and I own a couple X-67's. After using both, I prefer the scrolling sonar screen on the X-67 as opposed to the flasher screen. I like to have the few seconds of "history" shown on the screen to help one understand what you did with your jig and how the fish reacted to your presentations. For those that haven't used a sonar unit in the sonar screen, it shows a few seconds of history as the screen scrolls from right to left - but real time on what your jig and the fish are doing is at the far right side of the screen as it scrolls. This is different than flasher units, where they are always real time with no history. The nice thing about the X-67 is that you can use either the sonar screen or the flasher screen - it is nice to have both options depending on the screen view that you like.

As far as zooming, the X-67 can be zoomed in I beleive up to 8x the normal view, and the FL-20 can be zoomed into different depths like 6-12' off of the bottom.

They both are nice units, but the X-67 will be a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Fl-20 or the FL-22, and have the option of the flasher or sonar screen.
Wow alot of stuff to do ;D

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
If I fished in a hut all the time I would probably have one, but the X67 display is just not bright enough for me out in the sunlight.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
captain shuyak said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
If I fished in a hut all the time I would probably have one, but the X67 display is just not bright enough for me out in the sunlight.
gotta use those special mafia glasses ;D ;D
And where might I find those?

I know!! I'll bet Ice can tell me all about them! He knows everything. I'll bet the DOW is involved in some kind of cover up...... They're probably the ones that made the screen dim.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
They're probably the ones that made the screen dim.
You were close...its the evil scientists at CSU controlling the light output from the sun...next week photosynthesis will no longer work on the planet as we know it...as a result I would buy Xcel energy stock...

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
zman said:
They're probably the ones that made the screen dim.
You were close...its the evil scientists at CSU controlling the light output from the sun...next week photosynthesis will no longer work on the planet as we know it...as a result I would buy Xcel energy stock...
Baaa hahahahahaha!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D thats better then saturday night live 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts