Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a different (at least to me) walleye bite at Plo this week. It reminds me a lot of a video game and a lot like laker fishing. Started seeing suspended fish down at Plo and thought they were wiper...until I tried to entice one of them. Once hooked up and getting one to my NuCanoe I realized they were walleye. Proceeded to catch a few more using the laker/video trick. Got home and uploaded my recorded files to the Insight Genesis server and realized how much of a video game I was playing. The pics below give a better idea of what I experienced.

In every pic, "A" is my jig. "B" are walleye. "C" is the hit or miss. "D" is my jig coming back to the NuCanoe...with or without a walleye attached.

First game - fish joining me at the boat on this one

Second game - just teasing me

Third game - swing and miss

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
It sure is crazy to look at it all that way, I think i would have to upgrade my fish finder to be able to do things like this haha

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the information

Incredible screen shots. Thanks…This really helps a neophyte like me to understand the sonar. However, why does the topo map show a depth, at the boat location, of 45+ feet and the chart shows a depth of 27+ feet? Also, are you participating in the Lowrance Insight Genesis mapping effort?
Do you know about Bruce Samson’s Dr.Sonar website? www.doctorsonar.com.
I have a HDS 7 and am trying to get to know it and appreciate your very informative post. Again thanks for the images.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Incredible screen shots. Thanks…This really helps a neophyte like me to understand the sonar. However, why does the topo map show a depth, at the boat location, of 45+ feet and the chart shows a depth of 27+ feet? Also, are you participating in the Lowrance Insight Genesis mapping effort?
Do you know about Bruce Samson’s Dr.Sonar website? www.doctorsonar.com.
I have a HDS 7 and am trying to get to know it and appreciate your very informative post. Again thanks for the images.
Laker2. These pics are my recorded Lowrance sonar data rerun and displayed in Insight Genesis (https://insightstore.navico.com/insightgenesis after I have added the water depth offset. Stated differently, Plo was 18.87 feet below its 4882 feet normal elevation on the day I recorded this data. The mapping screen reflects that "normal" depth. The sonar screen reflects the actual depth this all took place at.

Yes. I am participating in the Insight Genesis effort/program. I am mapping a few lakes Plo being one of them. I am aware of the Dr. Sonar site.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Killer info, man! It's kinda cheetin though!! haha I'm in!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell yeah! Can you turn real time sonar on so you can see fish/jig in real time. Like a vertical flasher?
Andy - yes. In my case I go to pages/Sonar

once on this screen click on "Split" and pick "Flasher"

this is what it looks like in simulation mode

I'll see if I can rerun my sonar file that shows the jig/walleye and grab some screen shots of it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a few screen shots from that sonar log in flasher view. I am not a flasher expert but I know there are ways to clean up the view.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ok, you've piqued my interest. Would like to know more about this whole thing you're doing with mapping the lakes and what kind of equipment is needed. Maybe we can discuss on the 14th??? unless you have room in that black beauty one of these days/nights.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, you've piqued my interest. Would like to know more about this whole thing you're doing with mapping the lakes and what kind of equipment is needed. Maybe we can discuss on the 14th??? unless you have room in that black beauty one of these days/nights.
Pretty simple actually. Using Lowrance capable units I am recording my fishing trips. When I get on the water and with a few clicks I record my sonar data. Upload it to Insight Genesis when back home. View it on the website then create more detailed maps that I plug back into my Lowrance unit via an SD card.

Definitely discuss on the 14th if not before.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like it's time to upgrade units :)

Was just checking out the Elite 5 HDI. Apparently Lowrance is including Insight Genesis with purchase for a limited time. Not sure which transducer to go with.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like it's time to upgrade units :)

Was just checking out the Elite 5 HDI. Apparently Lowrance is including Insight Genesis with purchase for a limited time. Not sure which transducer to go with.
Robert - for $100 more I'd go with the CHIRP version. Walleye will be a lot easier to pick out...heck any fish below the boat will not be able to hide.

Look at this vid:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Dang, that's a lot of fish showing up on the screen! I'm used to seeing one or two at at a time CC. You've got some nice pods there! 8)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang, that's a lot of fish showing up on the screen! I'm used to seeing one or two at at a time CC. You've got some nice pods there! 8)
If you are referring to my reply to Andy, that is simulation mode. Just showing him how I get the flasher to show on the screen.

Pods? Whales?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Pods of fish. Where there is one walleye, there are usually others nearby. I'm not used to seeing as many on the screen at once, and you've got them. Should be good fishing! :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
reeltime,
Below are the pics Insight Genesis captured/created of your suspended fish you jigged up today. Just like a video game;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts