Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most factory loaded maps into any brand of chartplotter are derived from USGS topo maps and lack detail, especially in Colorado. That detail is even less accurate if the body of water has been around for many years as topo maps were less accurate in the early years and things change underwater through time. When fishing, if you are looking for a specific depth, edges of weedlines or bottom composition, existing maps don’t help much. Sure, you can launch your boat and go find (hunt and peck) what you are looking for but staying on the necessary depth or weedline edge gets to be a challenge if your boat moves.

Experience derived perception of the bottom contour for your favorite fishing hole is very likely different from reality. I have recently been mapping my favorite lake using Lowrances’ Insight Genesis (https://insightstore.navico.com/insightgenesis) and have confirmed that perception is not reality…factory loaded maps are perception, Insight Genesis provides reality.

Below are a few before Insight Genesis, during (processing the map) and after pictures of a location:

Before. Not a lot of detail. I had previously marked the edge when the water was lower. Waypoints from years past where fish were caught. I had a perception of what the contour was.

After recording sonar data the Insight Genesis program creates a map. It also gives you the opportunity to view the sonar log so that you can mark additional waypoints on fish or spots that you might have missed while on the water.

After. Gives actual contour breaks, vegetation and bottom composition. The map can now be overlaid on top of previous waypoints giving some explanation as to why the fish might have been in that location. An example is the series of waypoints close to “171” at the right of this map. The before map did not show the point and steep drop off. With this knowledge and new map, I can fish that area more effectively without having to be right on top of the spot. I can also find other areas like this that I have never fished before and give those a shot. Try doing that with the “Before” maps in most of our units.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I've been wondering how well this works. The hot maps for Colorado suck. I'm lucky if the lake I'm fishing is available. I was wanting to upgrade my electronics. I may have just found what I've been looking for. Good report.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Good stuff! I thought I wanted to do some mapping last year, but that always seem to fall way below fishing in terms of priority once I get on the water. :D

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
How long before I can buy the map that YOU made from lowrance?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ao - I tend to map more in the winter when the fishing is not as good. One good thing is that you can record sonar while fishing. The act of recording does not impact your units ability to operate normally.

rv - Lowrance is currently determining the marketing strategy for what they call "Map Sharing". Sharing is the operative word...I suspect you will have to come to the buyers table with some mapped data...again, I don't know all the details.

albow - yep.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I think I like Dr D better. It was faster to upload files when I had it. I have mixed personal opinions about Genesis so far so I cant recommend to anyone yet. They have big software issues.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fisher - I liked Dr. Depth before they were bought out, now, not so much.

What software issues are you experiencing? I have uploaded about 45 files and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I use Genesis for HDS Gen 2 units. Sometimes when I upload files I get a corrupt error message. If I wait a week so the file eventually gets uploaded. Merging files also takes forever to complete, like a day or so long. My files are generally 4-8 hrs long and roughly 300k-1G big. I uploaded 6 files yesterday night about 300-600K big and they just completed uploading this morning. Might have to wait another few days before the merging is complete.

I also have problems viewing the AT5 files on my plotters. I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

So far I'm not very pleased. I've complained 3 times to Genesis and have only gotten 1 reply. One complaint was how their server shut down for over a week. Another complaint was for software issues related to viewing of maps on the computer. All I could see was the Bing map and my tracks, no contour/veg/hardeness.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Very interesting view... good info. gracias.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use Genesis for HDS Gen 2 units. Sometimes when I upload files I get a corrupt error message. If I wait a week so the file eventually gets uploaded. Merging files also takes forever to complete, like a day or so long. My files are generally 4-8 hrs long and roughly 300k-1G big. I uploaded 6 files yesterday night about 300-600K big and they just completed uploading this morning. Might have to wait another few days before the merging is complete.

I also have problems viewing the AT5 files on my plotters. I dunno, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

So far I'm not very pleased. I've complained 3 times to Genesis and have only gotten 1 reply. One complaint was how their server shut down for over a week. Another complaint was for software issues related to viewing of maps on the computer. All I could see was the Bing map and my tracks, no contour/veg/hardeness.
Fisher,
I cannot address all of your issues but the ones bolded above I have experienced and talked to Lowrance about. Those bolded are a result of uploading big files. I even think the documentation says nothing over 4 hours. I tend to break my recording up into 60-90 minute files. Another reason I do this is in the event a file becomes corrupt, I don't lose an entire day (or 4+ hours) of data.

It might appear to be a bit of a pain to create smaller files but for me (1) it is a safety issue...not corrupting all of my data and (2) it loads quicker and merges quicker.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
ao - I tend to map more in the winter when the fishing is not as good. One good thing is that you can record sonar while fishing. The act of recording does not impact your units ability to operate normally.
The key word was "way" (in "way below"). I think I hit the record button a couple of times while fishing early in the season last year and never did anything with the data. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts