Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Lowrance x125 fishfinder? I replaced my x75 with this model. When using the downrigger, it shows up the finder at the exact depth that I have the rigger? This never occured with my other finder. Was wondering if anyone else has the same or similiar problem?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
So your sonar is showing your downrigger ball and the depth its at? Whats the problem????

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My x75 never showed the downrigger ball. I did not know that its ok to have it show up on the finder. This is a new unit for me and I am learning about it. Does it affect any readings below the ball? I also have a minn-kota trolling motor with a built in transducer connected to a different x125 finder. When powering the motor I get a heavy vertical bar on the finder. This interference affects the finder. How do i get rid of the interference when powering the trolling motor. They are powered from the same battery. thanks again

·
Registered
699 Posts
Had the interference prop a few years ago with my boat there are two trick if it is an external trans try a thin sheet of lead between them and a peice of milk jug if it isnternal take it to a certified tech to have them re insulate the trans

L

·
0 Posts
What's the problem? I think I would be concerned if my downrigger weight was in the sonar cone and NOT showing on my finder. Don't turn down your gain, I run my gain very high to see as much detail as possible. Your finder is working the way it's supposed to and it will still show fish and bottom below your cannon ball. I watch fish come up off the bottom and check out the cannon ball on the finder. I can also see fish hit a jig sometimes.

If you have the same frequency front and back on your sonar, you could get some feed back if your transducers are less than 15 or 16 feet apart. If you are running your finder on the same deep cycle that your electric troller is, you will probably get feed back that you are describing, just like a plug in electric razor and the interference it causes on a television. Run your accessories from the starter battery or source other than the source you run your trolling motor.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I love the fact that I can see where exactly the downrigger balls are at. If I see fish higher or lower in the water, I move ( raise or lower) the balls to always be a couple of feet higher than where I am marking fish.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree that it is a feature, not a bug, to see your downrigger ball with a fishfinder (maybe your old FF was broken? ;)). If it bothers you, however, try moving your downrigger to the other side of the boat.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Oh, and to answer the question about whether or not seeing your downrigger ball in the FF affects what you see below, the answer is: yes, it probably does. However, remember that the sonar's signal is an inverted cone which gets wider and wider the deeper you go. The downrigger ball is something like 3-4" in diameter and so represents only a tiny part of the return signal.

Take a look at this picture from my sonar in which I had two downriggers out (these are the horizontal lines):

as you can see, there were plenty of fish below the downrigger ball that were still identified. You may also want to check out Lowrance's sonar tutorial: http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/Sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp

as it offers some good information.

Hope this helps.

L

·
0 Posts
If your cannon ball is in the cone, and you can't see it, how are you going to mark fish? A finder is there to tell you whats in the water column and bottom.

I want my cannon balls on the finder so I don't have to do funky math or guess as to where they actually are depth wise. If your downrigger counter shows 80' and your moving 1.8 mph, your weights aren't 80' deep, they are more like 74' to 78' deep. Your finder will show you exactly, no guess work or math.

Oh, and to answer the question about whether or not seeing your downrigger ball in the FF affects what you see below, the answer is: yes, it probably does.
I agree partly, your sonar signal is a cone, the little spot where your cannon ball is, is probably bouncing just a fraction of your signal back to the transducer. Like I said, I've seen fish on my finder, come up right off the bottom go to the weight, follow it and then go back to the bottom. Yes, part of your signal, maybe a fraction of 1%, is being sent back to the unit and not continuing down to the bottom, but in my experience, I don't think the signal that's being sent back to the unit is affecting anything or losing anything.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
laker taker said:
If your downrigger counter shows 80' and your moving 1.8 mph, your weights aren't 80' deep, they are more like 74' to 78' deep

Id like to add that depending on the size weight your using will change this as well. 6,8,10 will all have diffrent drag

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I beg to differ,

how to explain this... Given the transducer and downrigger cable are in approximately the same location in the back of the boat...

unlike going over a fish, it does not matter if the down rigger ball is in the center of the cone or on the edge of the cone, it is still going to be recorded at the same depth, namely the amount of line out, not the actual depth of the ball.

Try this, Draw a diagram (cone), place the ball at one edge of the cone, measure the distance (x) to the transducer. Stop the boat, the ball drops directly under the center of the cone, how far down is it still (x) since the length of cable didn't change... and it is recorded at the same depth (x) by the fish finder.

Try it, when you stop a the boat, the downrigger ball on the screen stays at the same depth... it does not drop, even though it did drop a little in reality.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts