Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,176 Posts
I agree that it is a feature, not a bug, to see your downrigger ball with a fishfinder (maybe your old FF was broken? ;)). If it bothers you, however, try moving your downrigger to the other side of the boat.

· Registered
3,176 Posts
Oh, and to answer the question about whether or not seeing your downrigger ball in the FF affects what you see below, the answer is: yes, it probably does. However, remember that the sonar's signal is an inverted cone which gets wider and wider the deeper you go. The downrigger ball is something like 3-4" in diameter and so represents only a tiny part of the return signal.

Take a look at this picture from my sonar in which I had two downriggers out (these are the horizontal lines):

as you can see, there were plenty of fish below the downrigger ball that were still identified. You may also want to check out Lowrance's sonar tutorial: http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/Sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp

as it offers some good information.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.