Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the nice weather I decided to try out my new lunker punker solely to see how easy it would be to walk it on one of my current rigs. I threw it on a 7'3" heavy abu garcia vendetta with a revo winch and 40 lb. braid attached to a 40 lb. fluorcarbon leader. I obviously did not invest in that setup for topwater, but still held out hope it could get the job done. After about twenty minutes of testing it out, I believe I need to pitch it on something else. Although there were some solid walks, the consistency was not there, and the longer rod made walking at the end of the retrieve non-existent, which would be terrible for fish that are following.
So, any advice on a new rod to throw this thing? I'm guessing something shorter and have also heard that faster actions are recommended. I would like something relatively cheap (which I know sounds stupid when you're throwing a bait this pricey). By the way, I have the wooden punker, not the plastic version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would suggest a Mojo Musky rod from St. Croix. It sounds like it will be for pike, musky, and or bass. I would think that 7'6" Heavy would be perfect. It has a fast action which will be fine for a topwater style bait. If you have any more questions you can just inbox me.
Josh

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's gonna be hard finding a rod that won't tire you out after throwing a bait like that all day. I would find the lightest rod possible that's big enough to to handle a bait that size without killing you after a days worth of fishing

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, yeah my arm was sore after 20 minutes, not a good sign for future 12 hour days. I really do love that revo winch though, buttery smooth and casts a mile so do you guys think I can keep that and just pair with something lightweight that has a XF tip and strong backbone?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Look into the 13 omen rods . I picked up a 7'1 m and it's extremely lightweight and has a pretty good tip. They make them all the way up to a 7'11 I believe. A 7'3 or maybe the 7'6 model would be perfect

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Might want to mention size of the LP along with wood and injected.
5" to 8", plastic or wood...
So from 1.5oz to 4ish

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've thrown Lunker Punkers (6" and 9" wooden) since '09 on a 7'11" H Okuma swimbait rod (GS-C-7111H - MF action). You can throw the lure a country mile + change and if you're using 65# braid, there is no problem making the bait walk at long range or short range, at least in my experience. It took me a couple of trips to get used to the longer rod and handle for fishing a topwater bait, but once you work out the mechanics, it is pretty efficient. Do remember that you'll get fewer fouled hooks if you go with a short section of heavy mono leader between the lure and the braid.

Black Dog Baits recommends a heavy fast-action rod, but they don't recommend a length, so I'd say to pick a length that you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I know what you're sayin about walking baits with longer length rods. Fish Dr would know best and the thing about a lot of the swimbait rods it that a lot of the length is in the handle. I've always liked a short rod for walking the dog but there's not very many six or six and half foot rods rated for that heavy of lures unless you start to look at muskie rods. Personally the largest top waters I normally fish are 5"super spooks which only weigh one once so not as hard to find a rod for them. I've been interested in getting a swimbait/mag top water set up for several years and still haven't done so.... maybe I'll get one this year. Sure do love some top water..When you slam some pigs on the lunker punker put up sone pics man! Tight lines.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I'll have some Hydra swimbait sticks coming up for sale shortly, they will fit the bill, but they won't be as cheap as you're likely looking for.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
the 7'6" mh okuma guide select swimbait rod. throw 6" wood punkers, 6" hudds on it. it just works. can even use it flipping in a pinch. compare it next to a regular 7' rod. reel to tip of rod is about the same. reel to butt of rod is longer. you really don't want to be shorter than 7'6 on a swimbait rod. buy a swimbait specific rod! straight braid or braid to mono. never use fluoro on a topwater bait like that. 65# braid with 25# mono leader. the bass around here and most other places won't break that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts