Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we go fishing on our boat, we have mainly used hooks & nightcrawlers and relaxed on the boat and waited for a bite (usually from trout).
However, in our tackle box we have a couple of Kastmaster lures (silver & gold), a couple of spinner lures, a couple of
deepwater crankbaits and some soft plastic worms. I would love to use these lures, but I don't necessarily know how to. Once you cast one of these lures into the water, how do you count to figure out just how deep the lure is going before you start retrieving the lure in. When using a Kastmaster or spinner, how slow or fast does a person reel the lure in? When using a plastic worm, do you let it set on the bottom or off the bottom?
One thing I do know for sure, it does take more skill catching a fish using a lure rather than just sitting in a boat and waiting for a fish to bite/take a worm from a hook in the water. How easy is it catching trout using a lure? When do you use minnows or leeches for bait? How about Powerbait? We have used Powerbait when fishing from shore, but only a couple of times in the boat (with no success).
Any help on using lures would be greatly helpful.
Cody

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You may want to go fishing with some one who knows how to use those methods. Alot more fun than reading about it!

·
Registered
664 Posts
As mentioned above...there is a lot of info for you to find and digest. People spend lifetimes of fishing to determine what lures to use in what situations and which retrieves to use. For starters, it doesnt have to be too complicated but it would be a good idea to go with someone who is familiar with some of this stuff and also to read up on it a bit. also...just try expirimenting in the same areas you baitfish in. count the lure down to the bottom and reel it in at a moderate speed. try pauses or jerks in the retrieve and see if that makes any difference. Diving crankbaits will go to a specific depth, no need to let them sink. Keep your rod tip close to the water on the retrieve or you'll pull lures right to the surface as you retrieve (unless this is what you want). good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
kastmaster is my favorite lure. it depends how fast you have to reel it. using lightweight setup with under 7g kastmaster you have to reel it in pretty fast. with 10g and above with medium setup, you can go little slower. if you drag in alot of debries and weed then you have to reel faster. but not fast enough that it will skip on  the surface. once you get hold of that give it a pop every 2-3 revs of the reel. i also suggest using dardevles and z ray. remember for lures 7g (1/4oz) and under use light setup, and for 10g (3/8 oz) and up use medium setup. keep this in mind or you'll snap alot of lures off the line. you'll know how to match numbers by looking at the side of the fishing pole or your reel. also different lures have different aerodynamic features so adjust your reeling speed accordingly.

i have just netted couple of 20 inchers (brown and rainbow) over the easter weekend at georgetown using kastmaster. i have several colors and types of spoons i have researched over the years that worked great for me. i will not reveal the colors. they are my secret and your fun to find out. but in general trout will bite kastmaster.

remember to pop. you can adjust whether you pop aggresively or every blue moon. best popper will net the biggest fish. also try and cover as much water as you can. cast to different places. moving around is good technique if you don't know the lake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts