Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to work to find out that I won a contest that my boss puts on for our group every month. I was all set to get some small gag-gift like $5 to the ice cream shop or $7 dollars to the dollar store. In the past we have always done some sort of gag gift like that.

Well today my boss walks in and says for the winner we have something special and we will set a new precedent. He holds up a gift card for Jax. I'm thinkin' oh sweet, I can get a new lure!

Well he hands it to me and says, since you like to fish, I got you one for $50.00 to Jax, spend it on some fishing stuff!!!!! Well son of a gun!

Went to Jax this evening and spent it all. ;D The wife asked why I didn't spend any of it on her. Reply, "ummmm... he said it was for fishing stuff." >:D

I am the proud owner of 7 new lures, some new line (cajun red, never tried it before) and some other random odds and ends. Is Cajun Red any good? I have read mixed reviews on it.

So, my question to you folks is, what is the most you have ever spent on lures, hooks, and jigs in one shopping spree just to get the lure monkey off your back?

Mine was $140 just on lures years and years ago. I am more of a buy one here, buy one there kind of guy.

I love my boss!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really like the Cajun Red. It seems stronger for the weight class than other lines. This weekend I had a small jig on it and I hooked my own anchor line (don't ask). It was all I could do to break the line with my hand - 6# test. Low memory reduces twists and tangles and I like that I can see it pretty well between the rod and water.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am a fishing tackle junkie I know this to be fact and wife has accepted the facts. cure there is none. do not even want to think of what I have spent on fishing but it is somewhere around $5000.00 per pound and who says beef is expensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
every year I go to Canada on a fly-in. A few years ago my non fishing brother in-law went along. He said he had about $600 to spend on tackle and rod/reel. We went to Gander Mtn in Minnesota and I just went down the aisle throwing everything in, we get too the register and the total for just the lures was $300 or so, then add in all the terminal tackle and 2 rods and reels, he spent over his $600 but he's hooked now, he asks all the time when we are going back! My sister loves me....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats on the prize!

Is Cajun Red good? I think so! I use primarily braided lines, but have several back up spools wound with the Cajun Red. It's one of the best mono's that I have used. Highly recommended.

Walleyecetcher - Where in Canada do you go? My fishing party will be up around the Reindeer Lake area in Northern Sask at the end of May. We can't wait!

JOE

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
C.Red is all I fish. Like someone else said this stuff is strong. The bad thing is it does have memory. Ive yet to try the new copolomer line they just put out but plan on it.

As far as tackle. Are you talking one trip or in a year. This winter I bet ive spent close to $500.00 getting ready for the year. It is a sickness with no cure. Just roll with it. :)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
153 Posts
holy crap... I spent like $150 at Cabelas on my way up to wisconsin, then on the way back we went again!! lol... I bought about $300 worth of stuff... maybe it was $300 total... but yeah... I dont know... it was nuts... but It wasnt all fishing stuff... I bought a $150 bow case as well... haha... but yeah, i was a kid fresh out of highschool... so it was quite a bit...

um... simm's G3 waders... yeah... I got those for discount, but still a pretty penny... I have a Sage Xi2 with a Ross Canyon Big Game on it that my mom got me for my grad present... haha... yeah... I have some expensive stuff... $120 glasses... I've spent about $75 just on flies before...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just started using cajun red on my med rods this year. I noticed Jay seemed to do well with it so I thought I would give it a try. I got the 6lb test and it seems to be pretty strong and not to mention cheap.
The most that I have spent on lures only in one trip was about $220 in a day. But I think I spent another $150 two days later. I never could figure out why I don't have any money to buy new shoes or undies.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
When I fished bass competitively, I made two or three $500 Bass Pro Shops orders. I'd like to say that I won more money in the tournaments than it cost me to outfit myself to fish in them, enter them, and travel to them. I'd like to say that, but I can't, because even though I did well in most of the tournaments, the prize money was never enough for me to be on the right side of the bottom line. I guess I should have fished tournaments with bigger payouts, but then I'd have to plunk down $30K for a boat, and a new towing rig, and...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts