Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man' I hate losing lures! lately it has been an epidemic too...since I have had to fish from shore it's hard to untangle snags and I end up having to break a lot off. I think I average losing about 3 per day in some areas. The good news is that I've been finding a lot of stuff too although it's usually rusty old junk but the other day I found a brand new (nice) crankbait just floating by the shore..score!

I have figured that my lose to find ratio is about 4:1 with about 50% of the lures I find being usable or repairable so that brings it to about 8:1 and the ones I lose are almost always more expensive than the ones I find so the dollar ratio might be $10 lost to $1 found.

Who said math wasn't fun or useful!

E

·
0 Posts
farmer ted said:
Man' I hate losing lures! lately it has been an epidemic too...since I have had to fish from shore it's hard to untangle snags and I end up having to break a lot off. I think I average losing about 3 per day in some areas. The good news is that I've been finding a lot of stuff too although it's usually rusty old junk but the other day I found a brand new (nice) crankbait just floating by the shore..score!

I have figured that my lose to find ratio is about 4:1 with about 50% of the lures I find being usable or repairable so that brings it to about 8:1 and the ones I lose are almost always more expensive than the ones I find so the dollar ratio might be $10 lost to $1 found.

Who said math wasn't fun or useful!
I'm going to start taking a Sharpie and writing my phone number on my crank baits. Maybe someone would call me and tell me they found it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
we should get RFID to put in...

and have fishing store have the readers for the RFID..... then people can return them....

but I think this might be abit to Altruistic for the gerneal popualtion. I just don't see people sending them back even if they knew where to.

... it would probably not add much to cost of the lure.... I am talking around 10 cents. if that. I am not sure it would work for all crankbaits but for some it could defentily work very well.... and if it's going to be sold at wally world it is going to have an RFID on it anywyas.....

ok I need to stop typing now....(I just deleted like a page worth of post) nobody needs an essay on RFID.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I was in 6th grade I lived right above Lake Beckwith. I had been fishing some but didnt really have any fishing equipment. I started out with a cheap telescopic pole w/real and some hooks. I would watch from my bedroom window where people where night fishing and run down there first thing in the morning. I would find all kinds of stuff. I would walk the lake when the water was low and find stuff, go swimming for fishing poles, and check my "hot spots" every day during the summer. I found everything from pocket knives to full triple decker tackle boxes. I never paid for any of my fishing stuff until I was in high school.
Another time we where camped out and fishing along Grape Creek between Canon City and Westcliffe. There was a couple camped just down stream about 1/4 mile or so and the lady was pregnant. When we got up the next morning and fished down stream they where gone. Walking past their camp I could see stuff they left behind in the middle of the night. I found a nice ultra light rod and other tackle. I used that pole to creek fish for years.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
5 to 1 fishing from a boat helps. Most finds are junk. I did drag up a a rod and reel last year from Chatfield. Rod junk reel nice but two wks later I dumped a 100.00 rig over board at Pueblo. Third rig lost at that place! Jinxed. They alwats seem to fall out in 30+ ft of water.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would also go with about a 5:1, fishing with the kid he tends to get hung up alot and always with a good lure. I slip the waders on and walk out to get it I'd say 1/3 the time there are one or 2 rigs snagged on the same thing he is. YOu should see his bobber collection, most everything I find goes in his box, if rusty it gets thrown away or hooks replaced it just the hooks were rusty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have no idea what my ratio is... Probably worse than 10:1.

A couple of weeks ago I lost a nice Rapala when it got hung up on some rocks. About 15 minutes later, using a different lure, I caught the one I lost! Strangely enough, that same trip I caught more lures/lines/tackle than I have for the entire previous 6 months.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
see.....if you boys were into fly tying you could just tie your own....and have boxes and boxes of flies you never fish sitting in drawers in your bedroom and basement that your significant other is constantly nagging you about...

actually i throw hardware too on occasion...and i hate losing stuff like rapalas and my more expensive Yo Zuri stuff i like to throw in saltwater. to help combat this i tend to buy 3 or 4 or every lure...which leads to the same issue i mentioned above with my fly boxes....

however flyfishing has its drawbacks. i figured out of the past 1,000 flies ive lost ive maybe only found one ive ever fished. (a popper, i believe, back in 94' while fishing for bluegills in the Carolinas)

so i have a ratio of 1,000:1...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the ratio is to depressing i try to forget the stuff i lose and rejoyce when i find something i can use.

today while throwing a cast net at deweese i dredged up a nice little spoon still bright and shinny. got a big smile with that

·
Registered
107 Posts
X:0... while fishing.

but we do go diving for lures at my buddies place up in CAN. off the dock and a few of the holes everyone fishes... so there I think I have found maybe 10 or so. found a lot of line with sinkers and wormed/bare hooks... sometimes there is a fish on it... most times not. kinda depressing. when you see it under water.

it's nice when where your the only one fishing within visual range no matter where you go on the boat.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Lol...I don't even want to think about it... In one lake I fish you can only fish on shore, and the dam is one of the best spots. The fish (mostly walleyes, smallmouth, occaisional bow and largemouth), hang right down in the rocks. Lets just say you lose a lot of lures if you want to catch fish...

M

·
0 Posts
scorpion_bsk said:
I lose Kastmasters like crazy!!! My ratio would probably be between 10:1 and 15:1
so true, but wal mart has these tings called kastaways that works just as well and come three in a pack for the price of one kastmaster

i have had the same success on these, u just dont have much pattern selection, the only difference i can find is real kastys has sharper edges, but when i need the polain colored silver or gold or silver blue ones i just get kast aways

·
Registered
16,531 Posts
By far the best place to find lures is the colo. river inlet to granby. The water lavel always drops about 30 ft during the winter and at ice out the trollers have left zillions of stuff all over the stumps down there. One year there was this stand of willows and it looked like a christmas tree with lures dangling in the breeze!I've also found about 10 anchors there with one that is a "super hooker" worth at least 50 bucks! Its my main boat anchor now.Of course I give many lures back also. And anchors.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Mustang said:
wal mart has these tings called kastaways that works just as well and come three in a pack for the price of one kastmaster
Im with you bro. I buy the same ones. I can't really tell the diffrence.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yep, I second that. Never go cheap on your gear. Does anyone make their own lures? When I lose my lure it only runs me about $1.00/ lure. I fish with my lures 70% of the time regardless of location or the fish I?m targeting....
Pope

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
On some lures I agree but not the ones we're talking about.

Ive made my own plastics before. As a matter of fact ive been meening to post my kit in the buy & sell section as I cant make them in a apartment.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts