Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun:

What lures have you never caught anything on or have absolutely no confidence in?

For me: Kastmasters (Daredevele type spoons are so much better)

Plastic Worms/ Lizards (am excited to try Senkos this spring though)

I have turned around on many lures that I didn't used to have confidence in: floating Rapalas are one and skirted bass jigs are another. I guess it all comes down to technique, practice, and experience.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Airplane jigs, I must have two dozen of them and have never gotten a fish to even look at one, yet. but I am persistant and kind of thick headed, so I still try them at times.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Man, I'm glad you said Kastmasters! I started fishing w/ bait, and wanted to try lures. Everyone said Kastmasters. To this day, I haven't caught ANYTHING on one. I've even tried em on recently stocked Trout that were hitting anything.

I've been skunked on Z-rays also, after buying about 10 of em, I haven't tried them in a while though, so maybe I should give em another shot.  ???

Another lure I haven't been skunked on, but just doesn't produce (for me anyway), is those berkley spinners (kinda like a mepps, only you can shove power-bait into a mesh center).  

Looking at  Super-Dupers and Buzz-baits, I never thought they'd work. They're 2 of my favorites now, go figure?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Congratulations if you can catch fish on Super Dupers, James, because Super Dupers are on my list of lures that have never caught anything for me!

My zero-production lures list:
Super Dupers
Kastmasters
Z-Rays

Unlike Farmer Ted, I have hammered the bass with plastic worms, in black or purple, rigged Texas style w/ no weight. Keep trying, F. T. !

W. E.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Never works:
Supper Dupers

Works:
Kastmasters
Yozuris
Rapalas
Roosters
Panthers
Vibrex
Tazmainians

Never tried:
Rattle Trap??

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh yeah...rattle traps!

I have never tried those either, but I found one last summer while I was fishing so, who knows..I may try it. I've got so many diving crankbaits that I like, I haven't worked the rattle trap into rotation yet.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've caught fish on everything listed by everyone above except for super dupers. Kastmasters are one of the more productive I've used, actually.

Rattletraps are one of the better crankbaits to troll around a lake if you are looking for wipers (1/4 oz. size).

I haven't caught anything on my X-rap (see other topic).

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I've caught fish on most of that stuff too. Like Dan, no muskie on bucktails, I only tried seriously once on lake of the woods 5 or 7 years ago. I bought some cabelas livineye jigs a few years ago, I thought they looked good - Nada. I bought some X-raps late last summer - zilch so far, they do look good in my tackle box though, so I'm going to keep them around for a few seasons. And I bought some good looking catfish stink bait that sat in the bottom of my don't-use-to-often plastics bag for about 10 years, well it didn't work either, and it did stink. Come to think of it, most of the "plastic" that was in that bag didn't catch fish. Hummm...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
don't catch fish
xrap (actually caught a couple tiny smallies but they don't count lol)
super dupers
floating rapalas
husky jerks
not many on jig and pig

I used to not catch fish on buzzers before this year but pike love them and I have also caught big smallmouth and largemouth on them too, also had a trout on once this year using a buzzer.
I really think a lot about a lure comes down to confidence.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Cutthroat said:
Oh, yeah - nothing on jig and pig for me, either. Husky jerks caught tons of trout and walleye for me this spring (the smallest size).
I'm sure husky jerks work well I just haven't used them in the right conditions. My goal next year will be to catch a non-jerry creek fish or a non-stagecoach pike on one. lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have never caught anything on a kastmaster however my all time worst lure is a walleydiver. Rattle traps are good and Rouge's at night off the dams at Carter lake are a sure thing for big Walley's. My favorite lure is a black 1/8 ounce Panter Martin cast down stream in smaller streams for trout a sure fire lure during spring.

Tight Lines and Bent Rods!
Grizz

M

·
0 Posts
people swear by them, but i cant catch a thing on my rapala jointed rap...dunno why

kastmasters r my go to, just keep throwing them

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Wow, I dont think I have bought a lure I havent caught a fish on... I was even given some "flying lures" for a present and caught bass on them. I havent tried all the lures you guys listed but most of them I have, but I change lures alot especially if they arent producing. Its weird to me is I've probably only caught a 6 or 7 fish on a kastmaster and yet some people's most productive lure, or a wally diver I've caught tons of fish trolling those.
Who knows I just picked up some swimbaits at Sportsman's grand opening, we'll see how I do on those.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I love Kastmasters! But only if you rip jig them. They really don't have much action if you just reel them in. But if you cast them out and do the rip flutter thing they are deadly. They are also deadly vertically thru the ice.

I have been a part of Walleye Central and fished with alot of members from that site over the last 7 years. Everyone there loves the old Storm Hot n Tots for trolling in the summer! I can't catch #### on them? Same for Walley Divers? The minute I go back to Shad Raps I start catching fish again?

·
Registered
943 Posts
i think alot of it has to do with confidence. if you use your favorite lure you tend to pay closer attention to it and you have already figured out how to maximize the action of that lure. every time i go i will use everything in the box. but i usually start with my go tos.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts