Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a buddy the other day and the topic of fishing for lakers with spawn sacs came up. We discussed potentially ordering a pound of fresh roe on-line, and wondered how the mail order eggs would work here in Colorado? The sacs would be delivered intact, fresh, and uncured; next day air.

So naturally my next thought was who better to ask than the spawn sac experts on this board? Has anyone here tried mail order roe, and how effective is it when compared to the local eggs?

If it has been successful for you, can you recommend your distributer?

Pete

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i have my best luck on kokanee eggs, and they work better fresh but it really dosent matter , i was using year old eggs this year catching macks, but i got lots of eggs from taylor, wolford , and granby so i have some fresh eggs for ice fishing

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
i rig my pole with a 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz wieght then down a foot ot two i tie a treble hook, i use a knife or scissors to cut the old material away, number one eagle claw hooks also work well , i like tube jigs and 2 and a 1/2 inch in white or pepper with a spawn sack also, i use split shots and and a treble hook threw the ice, green mountain was doing well on macks on spawn sacs i caught 11 between two trips , we only fished for two hours each time

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thoughts exactly. I figured to give it a try and I'd find out one way or other. Slayer the idea of collecting eggs came to me last weekend, and I think I'm kind of late in the season to get started and end up with enough for the season..

Afishman in regards to the eggs they sell in Thortan are they the bottled eggs or the "fresh claimed stuff" in vacuum sealed bags like I can find on the internet?

·
Registered
943 Posts
they actually come in a clear container that lloks like a plastic worm container. they look like ones that ken got from a trout

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent Afishman, I may have to give them a call and check it out. May have to try them before I go with an internet purchase from an unknown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts