Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am getting into trout fishing here in Colorado. I have recently found out that you can make your own in-line spinners. The only problem that I have found is that I cannot find Red colored bodies. I found that the trout in the lake that I usually fish at hit Red colored spinners (specifically red w/ gold flakes on the body and blade). Does anyone know of a website/store that sells red colored bodies?

Also, has anyone tried using "lure paint" before? Is it affective? Does it last long enough on the lure? Thanks for all the help everyone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check them out. That's the website that a guy also suggested in a youtube video.

Also, have you ever used a lure paint before?

·
Registered
356 Posts
You might also check anglers workshop here: http://www.anglersworkshop.com/LureMakingProductsANG

I don't know anything about making lures, but I tie a ton of flies...

I use various types of paint (including finger nail paint) on my streamers and such. For example painting tungsten jig/streamer heads.

Based on my experience paint works fine until you start bouncing the fly/lure on rocks, then inevitably it'll start chipping off. Typically I will put a coat or 2 of "hard finish" over the (dry) paint before using. I found this gives it a bit more durability. My fav clear finish is Solarez Bone Dry: http://solarez.com/products/fly-tie-ultra-thin-bone-dry/

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'll check them out. That's the website that a guy also suggested in a youtube video.

Also, have you ever used a lure paint before?
In the past, when I was short on money, I would buy cheap knock off spoons and paint them with paint I got in little jars at Hobby Lobby. Worked fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you guys tried replacing the treble hooks on In-Line spinners with single hooks?

If you have, what type of hook did you switch them with?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Have you guys tried replacing the treble hooks on In-Line spinners with single hooks?

If you have, what type of hook did you switch them with?
I did this for my son since he doesn't always have the patience to fly cast.
I just went with a straight shank hook; barbless in my case.
If you start using shanks with a bend, I think it'll angle the hook off the lure and reduce hookups, but that's just speculation.
I also prefer a straight eye here, for the same reasons as above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did this for my son since he doesn't always have the patience to fly cast.
I just went with a straight shank hook; barbless in my case.
If you start using shanks with a bend, I think it'll angle the hook off the lure and reduce hookups, but that's just speculation.
I also prefer a straight eye here, for the same reasons as above.
Was it worth switching them out? I've heard it's better on the fish that you release

·
Registered
356 Posts
Was it worth switching them out? I've heard it's better on the fish that you release
If you are targeting trout and plan to release them, then I do think it's worthwhile. Those treble/barbed hooks can do some damage to a soft mouthed trout.
If you're keeping, then who cares :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts