Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read WE post about putting together those beetlespins and got me thinking. Does anyone else make there own stuff?

Ive been making my own Pop gear, Wedding Rings, Walleye worm harnesses and my own plastics.

Does anyone else buy parts/peices and make them them selfs? Its a hell of alot cheaper and gives me something to do when im not on the water.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

PS: When I get back from Calif. Ill be posting my 'Plastic making kit' for sale.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Sometimes I customize the color of lures and rapalas. I have made several rods ,also.

F

·
0 Posts
I tie my own flies....Make my own top water lures, and spinners!!!
Nothing fancy but most seem to produce

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tie my own flies and make my own spinnerbaits....that's about it. I've found that in addition to being cost effective, there's nothing like catching something on your own custom rig.

D

·
0 Posts
Yup. I tie flies, tie ice jigs, and make some homemade swimbaits of my own design for Flaming Gorge lakers.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I tie my own fishing flies, salmon flies for framing and build my own rods. I have built a 5 wt 4pc 8'6" fly rod and am building a 3wt 2pc 7'6" fly rod. Next will hopefully be a 2 or 0 wt for bluegills.

Jim

·
Registered
279 Posts
I make fishing rigs by the bulk. All kinds. bottom rigs, slip rigs, floating rigs, trout rigs, catfish rigs. You name it. I always have at least 50 each ready.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
One thing almost everyone should be doing is making their own hook & leader combos if they do any bait fishing at all. Beats the heck out of buying those packages of snells in the store, and you can choose your own length and line weight.

Don't bother with the snell knot, a palomar knot at the hook works great, with a perfection loop knot at the other end.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I make my own snells and various other combinations for getting bait land lures down. The big problem was when I would make them was keeping them organized and untangled.

Found the solution at Sportmans last week. a nice little device made by a company in Sterling. keeps all my crawler harnesses carolina and texas rigs nice and neat.

Dan

·
Registered
280 Posts
I tie a lot of flies through out the year, some ice jigs and other jigs for lakers. Its fun and usually will bring in a few more fish. Whats fun is making something that catches more fish than anything else!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've dabbled around with all kinds of things, snells, spinners, flies and rods. My latest creations are clip-on clip-off in-line weights, similar to the walleye weight kits you can pickup anywhere for about 24.99.

Dan, tell me more about the gizmo you picked up Sportsman's that keeps you tangle free. Can it be used to keep tandem crankbaits on a single line from tangling?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Pete,

They a simple plastic holder that you wrap your prerigged stuff on.  You can easily put 2 on each.  They fit nicely into a tackle tray.  They come 3 to capck for round 2.50.  They also have a nine pack that comes with its own tray for around 10.00.

To put tandem crankbaits on them I am not certain if I am picturing what you have in mind.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts