Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in the thick jungles of Papua New Guinea last week. My target was giant Papuan black bass but, alas, I contracted malaria during my stay there and was lying delirious in bed for days instead… OK, the “Far East” was only in Kansas but I jest not about malaria and deadly scorpions. OK, OK, I did not get malaria but I was sick on a cot somewhere in Kansas for a day (hint: there is a lake known as cedar Bluff nearby). It was probably just lowly a stomach flu. As for deadly scorpions, I did get stung by this little guy:

Payback was a ***** for it. I crushed it and threw it in the water, just to make sure… I can now say I have cheated death 3 times in my life. :p Before anyone goes there: I didn’t die from it but I do not want to hear the “scorpions are harmless” speech. If it had not stung me, I would have just thought of it a cute, harmless critter. I have seen bigger ones in Kansas (and I just left them alone).

Alien landscape:

This picture doesn’t do justice to the smoothness and precision with which these holes were made. It almost look as though they were made by human tools. Anybody knows what kind of critter makes these sort of depressions/holes? I know what you are thinking: who gives a **** about holes on the ground? My retort: I am a curious animal.

I did manage to catch some fish.

Big gulp, eh? That’s an X-Rap in its mouth. Swallowed head first. Tried to, at least.

A walleye:

Also caught other fish (crappies, bass and carp) but nothing worth photographing.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Thanks for the report!! I gotta get out of state to fish someday!!

As for your alien landscape... We had those all over back in AZ.. we called them Antlions.

They are pretty cool little bugs that eat ants(and prob. any other small bugs that fall in there hole) When a bug or anythin lightly disturbs the dirt around/in the hole.. the Antlion will kick dirt up from the center to knock the prey down to the bottom of the hole where it sits just under the surface.

Creapy looking things.. but I've picked up hundreds and never have been bitten:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You drive all the way to Kansas just to fish ? Your crazy lol, good job anyways!
What can I say, I don't know how to catch fish around here. :D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the report!! I gotta get out of state to fish someday!!

As for your alien landscape... We had those all over back in AZ.. we called them Antlions.

They are pretty cool little bugs that eat ants(and prob. any other small bugs that fall in there hole) When a bug or anythin lightly disturbs the dirt around/in the hole.. the Antlion will kick dirt up from the center to knock the prey down to the bottom of the hole where it sits just under the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLILsssLYg

Creapy looking things.. but I've picked up hundreds and never have been bitten:

I saw a show about those on one of the Discovery channels but I didn't think it was one of those critters. The ground was not sand but it was granular enough that the traps those critters set up might work. The weird thing is that I have been there before and never noticed those holes. Maybe I noticed them this time around because I was sick and just sitting around for day. ;D

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Fish? Based on the title I thought this was about Z's dating lifestyle before he met Lady Di.

You need to migrate north a bit on your next fishing trip. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Growing up we called those ant lions. We use to pick a hole and then throw an ant in them and make bets on who's ant would get ate first.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
We have ant lions here in the Front Range. You'll find them in the loose sandy soil near pine trees, etc.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sounds like a great trip except for the scorpion bite and flu bug.

Keep traveling as everyone knows there is no good fishing in this state. ::)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Ant lions for sure. We used to play with them all the time as kids in Florida. They're a pretty cool critter.

I used to feed ants to em in Greeley too. I never could catch em tho....

Do we have scorpions in Colorado anywhere? ,,, Wondering if I should keep an eye out at any of the lakes in south area of Colorado.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts