Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I went fishing in Alabama I discovered they have a mandatory boating education.  A class you can take in a classroom environment or an online class.  It is required for all boat operators in Alabama.  A couple of exemptions are if you were born before a certain date and if you are  non-resident.

If you are an Alabama resident after you get your certification they actually add a "V" (for vessel) endorsement to your drivers license.

I took their online certification and it is too easy.  It has lots of questions concerning bouy identification, rules of the water as well as safety concerns.

So my question is......

Do you support or not support a mandatory boating education and certification in Colorado?  I obviously support it and am very interested to hear the opinions of all of you especially those of you who do not support it.

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I not only support the idea (for powered boats at least), I would also support vigorous enforcement of DUI rules for boat operators. You can kill someone (or yourself) with a boat just as easily as you can with a car.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont believe in mandatory classes for anything but do support some sort of testing demonstration of skills and most importantly knowedge of the regs

and yes better stricter enforcement of said regs is even more important

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'm sure the popular answer is going to be to support mandatory classes but I'm with roadkill on this one.

90% of the dangerous things a boater does when on the water isn't learning, its attitude. He or she can know all the rules (I'm sure the boaters that come way too close to me know its wrong) but act like a yahoo anyway. Mandatory classes just means more gov't bureaucracy and a chance to get more of your money.

What I'd like to see is far tougher enforcement on the water. For DUI's and bad behavior.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
what im thinking is the class would be good for beginner
boaters

but what i would like to see is them enforce the rules we have

write some tickets and collect some money

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I agree the parks need to inforce the rules we already have, way to many people on the water acting like fools. Write some tickets and people will think about there actions. Money talks!!!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sorry to break it to you chris most of them aint ACTING !

·
Registered
27 Posts
I definately think they should enforce the rules more, but a class for the first timers wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean, we've had consistantly less accidents each year since they made people take hunters safety courses. i know the classes are commen sense, but that's what we're seeing, some people aren't using common sense.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I support the idea, but here is some backgrtound as to why. I was a motorcycle mechanic in Arizona for a few years before taking a break and then moving to Colorado. By the time we got here my motorcycle endorsement had expired and I no longer owned a bike. Since I was taking a job as a mechanic again I needed an endorsemant quickly, so I took a riders class. Keep in mind that I had been riding for more thatn 10 years. I took the class and learned a TON. Not just the rules of the road, but saftey and survival stuff too. I learned how many bad habits I had developed as well. I know we all like to think our experiance and skill are superior, but there is nothin wrong with takinga refesher everynow and again!
left_turn56

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm with ya on the refresher course. The hunter one gave me an outside look that i'd never thought of. As for boating, i used to live near the Fla Keys, and it's nuts down there. It was the best class i coul've taken. Everyone down there drives close and wants to have the biggest boat on the water. great learning though!

·
Registered
943 Posts
i support it because i had no clue as to which side to stay on when another boat was coming at me or different stuff like that. alot of people probably learn from other people but i never knew anyone with a boat

·
Registered
594 Posts
As a side note...I woud sure like to see the rangers get out their air-condiioned trucks and on rthe water a bunch more...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts