Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is using a MarCum flasher. I have a Vexilar FL-18 which has the bottom 6' zoom feature. I like it a lot, but am in the market for a second flasher for my son to use so he will stop stealing mine and I wanted to hear some feedback on the MarCum product line before I make a purchase. I am expecially interested in MarCum's LX-3/LX-5 flashers with an adjustable zoom feature that lets you choose what part of the water column to zoom in on.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Marcum vs Vexilar - this is an endless debate. If you purchase a Marcum I dont think you will be dissappointed, especially with the adjustable zoom (which I like better then the fl-18 bottom zoom). Its basically ford vs chevy.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
one of my friends bought a marcum lx3?(the one without the zoom) and we can't even fish within 75 yards of him when he has it on. i have 2 vex's (fl18 and fl8se) and we use them side by side in my shelter with only a minimum of inteference. but if he turns that marcum on all hell breaks loose, you cant turn the gain low enough or hit the different channels enough to clear up all the inteference. so now when he uses it he fishes a long ways away from us or we move. maybe he just got a weird one????

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good point regarding the interference issue. anyone else out there that's used a Vex along side a MarCum flasher?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a new Marcum LX 5 and it is awesome. Its true three color display uses three different LED bulbs instead of blending two (VEX) and its fine line feature will let you zoom into the entire water column with 3/4 inch seperation. You can also chose to move that zoom any where in the water column. I have had it within close proximity of other flashers and have been able to block out any intereference with one of its 12 channels of interference rejection. IMO it use to be a Ford vs Chevy thing but since I have owned a Marcum and have been able to compare it side by side with a Vex, I think Marcum has the edge. Do yourself a favor and check both of them out before you decide to buy. They are both great tools and will help you catch more fish. I just think Marcum has taken it a step forward with its Fine Line Capability and True Color Display. Competition is great for the consumer and I am sure Vex will not be far behind for all you die hard Vex loyalists. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
jamiehughes said:
one of my friends bought a marcum lx3?(the one without the zoom) and we can't even fish within 75 yards of him when he has it on. i have 2 vex's (fl18 and fl8se) and we use them side by side in my shelter with only a minimum of inteference. but if he turns that marcum on all hell breaks loose, you cant turn the gain low enough or hit the different channels enough to clear up all the inteference. so now when he uses it he fishes a long ways away from us or we move. maybe he just got a weird one????
Sounds like a Vex problem. ;)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
maybe, but i doubt it, both of my vex's work fine side by side. i also bought one of the marcum cameras early last year and had to send it back twice before i could even use it on the ice, and it still didn't work properly. they were not that great to deal with when i had a problem, after paying shipping 3 times to send it back, i finally got a refund,(they only refunded sell price,no shipping, which was an extra $100 after 3 times w/insurance) never got a "sorry you had a problem" from anyone there. so i guess maybe i am a little bias, hope you dont have a problem with your flasher. because i know from other posts that vex will usually repair any problems and reship within 2 to 3 days. i waited 2 to 3 months for my marcum camera and it still didnt work. i doubt that marcum would jump right on it. after spending close to 500 bucks on it i was a little unhappy with marcum. do they even sell cameras anymore??? so i had a bad experience and learned my lesson and it only cost me $100 in shipping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts