Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried charging a marine battery w/jumper cables from a truck. I'm aware that it is best to charge marine batteries slowly with a trickle charger but was wondering if it would be bad on the battery to do a jump charge job. The reason I ask is I am often away from electricity on over night trips and want to re-charge my battery at the end of the day.

I have a converter and could bring along a trickle-charger but believe my truck would run out of gas before it is charged? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TthePikester, thanks for the backup idea. Unfortunately I've been using oars as my backup and have pretty sore shoulders and back from my last trip! The 2nd battery idea is so simple I overlooked it. I wish marine batteries weren't so gal-darn expensive. I can usually go around 1 1/2 days on my current Duralast and would double that w/2 batteries. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
When I had my first boat with electric trolling motor I would drive around for a couple of days in my pick-up with one battery and let it charge...replaced it with the other battery and drove around with it a day or so before I fished...Changed it right at lakeside...

I only fished impoundments that were 200 acres or less though...

Kinda ghetto but I could hardly afford to pay attention then...now I just chose when to...

Not sure how well you could charge an AGM battery depending on your vehicle...if you had an AGM battery...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts