Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of boats here in Colorado with marine radios. I haven't used one since I moved from California and I've often wondered why people have them here. In CA, we used them for emergencies and for making ship to shore calls (before cell phones got popular).

Do you use a marine radio in Colorado? What do you use it for? Am I missing out on something?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I bought a handhelp one. I plan on using it when im fishing the same lake with people I know. Im sure alot of the rangers monitor the emergency chan too. Could help you in a bind. It'd be nice if everyone on this site ran the same chan. Get to a lake and say "Anyone from the site on the water today?"

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'd be nice if everyone on this site ran the same chan.
Not a bad idea. Other than that, I don't know if I would need one. Emergencies are one thing, but all Colorado lakes you can hike out of and find help. I did break down one spring at big blue up at Lake Fork and had to hitch hike to back to Elk Creek (15 miles). That sucked!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CaptHook was telling me that when he was a kid, his dad would turn on the CB and hear fishing reports on Blue Mesa that told him where the kokes were hitting - one of the reasons I thought I'd ask the question. Not sure if it was CB or Marine Band.

I've got some pics from last Sept. at Blue Mesa that I'll have to share. Was fishing Soap Creek arm from the boat and a bear happened to swim by (from across the lake) and proceed to ROCK CLIMB up the cliff. I would have never thought of wanting to carry a .44 on the boat with me. Luckily, I had the three dogs with me and they scared him off.

I was tent camping in National Forest across from Elk Creek and it rattled me a little bit - tent set up next to the boat that had sucker meat all over it! Mr. Ed - bear bait!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a bear happened to swim by
That would be a good time for a marine radio, call in for a change of underwear!

I was only about 8 feet from this guy armed with only a bow.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
ya, my first trip to Blue Mesa with my dad we talked to a guy and he told us to tune the CB to a certain channel and use white corn and leaded line. Then guys on the lake would tell each other where to go and what color lead to put out with the white corn and sure enough we tore em up after that. I have been looking for a wireless CB to put on my the boat. I like Jays suggestion. I think that would be very cool to have a dedicated channel for everyone on the site to use and share info if they like.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Don't mean to say we honed in on thier action. It was a channel for fisherman on the lake and they directed us to where to go. During the week we fihed everyone would send reports over the channel as to where the hot spots were. It was pretty cool.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Northern Manitoba.

Well three people think it's a good idea to get a coloradofisherman radio channel, so what channel is it going to be? I'll start shopping for a handheld.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK - just ordered a handheld from Cabelas. Should get it in a couple weeks. Figure what the heck - I may have to travel to Oregon for work this year (already have a 1 day trip planned in April) so I figure if they make me go out for more than a day I'll drive out there with the boat and fish - I'll track the party boats and try for Stealhead or Salmon off shore.

I'll keep CH 11 as a favorite.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Got them in my boats. Come in handy when you can't get a cell signal. You can get weather info,fishing reports or use it to find all your buddys for a drink.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm not sure you can just use ch11. Under the rules of marine band I think you have to use 68, 69 or 71. You can hail on ch9 or ch16 that's why everybody should use their boat name on the forum.

Boater Calling Channel (VHF Channel 9)

The Federal Communications Commission established VHF-FM channel 9 as a supplementary calling channel for noncommercial vessels (recreational boaters) at the request of the Coast Guard. A ship or shore unit wishing to call a boater would do so on channel 9, and anyone (boaters included) wishing to call a commercial ship or shore activity would continue to do so on channel 16. Recreational boaters would continue to call the Coast Guard and any commercial facility on channel 16.

The purpose of the FCC regulation was to relieve congestion on VHF channel 16, the distress, safety and calling frequency. FCC regulations require boaters having VHF radios to maintain a watch on either VHF channel 9 or channel 16, whenever the radio is turned on and not communicating with another station.

Since the Coast Guard generally does not have the capability of announcing an urgent marine information broadcast or weather warning on channel 9, use of channel 9 is optional. We recommend boaters normally keep tuned to and use channel 16 in those waters unless otherwise notified by the Coast Guard.

Procedure for Calling A Ship by Radio

You may use channel 16 to call a ship or shore station, but if you do so, you must, must be brief! We recommend this same procedure be used over channel 9, if channel 9 is used as a calling channel.
For example:

Blue Duck: "Mary Jane, this is Blue Duck" (the name of the vessel or MMSI being called may be said 2 or 3 times if conditions warrant)

Mary Jane: "Blue Duck, this is Mary Jane. Reply 68" (or some other proper working channel)

Blue Duck: "68" or "Roger"

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone ever thought of using GMRS?

Blue Duck: "Mary Jane, this is Blue Duck" (the name of the vessel or MMSI being called may be said 2 or 3 times if conditions warrant)

Mary Jane: "Blue Duck, this is Mary Jane. Reply 68" (or some other proper working channel)

Blue Duck: "68" or "Roger"
Come in Captain Stubing,,,,,,

Just joking, thanks for the info MobyJ, I had no idea you had to be so formal on marine channels for non-commercial.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Id say Marine is better. I think GMRS are limited to 5w where marine radios can be 25w or more. Not that you would need to talk great distances here in colorado.

Also, GMRS radios run on a 4xx.xxxmhz feq where marine 156.xxx-157.xxx which tends to be cleaner and travels better line of site

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey MobyJ thanks for the information. I actually went through the San Pedro Marine Operator a few times in CA as well as listened to the broadcast reports so I'm a little familiar with offshore operations (or even Great Lakes operations).

Thing is, it gets back to my original question - I don't think I can hail a marine operator from Chatfield or Lake Granby (nor would I need to) - I wouldn't think the Coast Guard is listening/monitoring. Aside from talking to buddies, here in Colorado are any channels regulary monitored? Can you get NOAA forecasts?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts