Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that it's not open to the public.

but I just want to know why and I wonder if it was EVER open to the public at one point in time? driving by the lake to go to chatfield is like being a fat chick working out at a curves, right next to a coldstone creamery.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe it actually is open on a shoreline basis to the folks who live in Bow Mar. I might be thinking of the wrong res, but I thought it was Marston. They hold a private carp tourney, but you have to be invited by a resident. I was invited once, but competitive fishing is definitely not my thing, nor would I want to compete at Carp fishing. It's a gas on a fly rod, but a day of it and I have my fill for a half year or so.

In other words, you have to be privileged just to be able to walk the shore! We don't qualify.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
769 Posts
It was one of the lakes used for walleye spawn gill netting. I helped the DOW there one year back in the '90s. I know that it is a Denver Water Dept lake.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T.Weezy said:
There are some MASSIVE fish in there >:D >:D >:D
Yes, I've heard the tales of lore and legend.

The question is, WHY can the public not access the lake, and was it ever open to the public to begin with?

·
Registered
917 Posts
hahah are you guys serious.. It is a denver water compound and is very highly illegal to fish and they will prosecute to their fullest potential. Unfortunatley I no from a few folks who got busted out there. One of whom no longer has the privilege to fish in colorado anymore. Caught 4 times there. Yes there are big fish supposedly and there are no pike. Unless otherwise proved wrong. :D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Saint Vitus said:
T.Weezy said:

The question is, WHY can the public not access the lake, and was it ever open to the public to begin with?
Why? Because it's a water source for Denver - and they don't want fisherman trashing the place - like they always do!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
T.Weezy said:
Saint Vitus said:
T.Weezy said:

Why? Because it's a water source for Denver - and they don't want fisherman trashing the place - like they always do!
That's not a viable excuse. All over the country people can fish major city water sources. I fish one in broken arrow every time I head to ok.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Was not impressed with the lake when I helped with the walleye netting there. One day we only had one female. It was around 6-7 lbs.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
@ St Vitus - look up Mclellan Reservoir in Littleton (also a water source)

It used to be open to the public for fishing, until we ruined the priveledge. And quite honestly most of the trash comes from bait dunkers - those foam worm containers and powerbait jars litter the shores of every metro pond!

It does them no good to open it for fishing, other than increase the risk of pollution... from Denver water's perspective, I wouldn't open it either.

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
MuskieMan said:
hahah are you guys serious.. It is a denver water compound and is very highly illegal to fish and they will prosecute to their fullest potential. Unfortunatley I no from a few folks who got busted out there. One of whom no longer has the privilege to fish in colorado anymore. Caught 4 times there. Yes there are big fish supposedly and there are no pike. Unless otherwise proved wrong. :D
Sounds like you get a couple chances before you get into serious trouble!

·
Registered
996 Posts
At one time the CDOW and Denver Water were in talks for a deal in opening it, even to boating. That was in the 1990s and fell through. It's a terminal reservoir the same as Aurora. Really it should be open for angling, it's that way in almost all other states, save for some areas of california and the more liberal NE states (even they have better access than we do). It is public property and should be treated as such. There is no proof or viable reason that water supply lakes should be closed, because all lakes end up as drinking water for the most part. Denver Water just thinks it can do whatever it wants, and it gets to because no one holds them accountable.

Actually there are many studies that show that NOT having supply lakes open to the public harms the water quality. South Catamount Reservoir, while it was closed had FAR higher fecal coloform and pathogen counts than Rampart Reservoir, even though it's the same watershed. The reason is there is a lot more wildlife around when there are fewer people.

And to further put this to bed, Jon Scherschligt, former Chief Of Ground Water And Water Quality Control of the Colorado Department of Health, had this to say:

"we have NEVER to my knowledge been confronted with situation in Colorado where fishing has been shown to cause any measureable water quality damage...

As for security reasons, facilities like Marston that are unjustly closed are much more vulnerable to attack than facilities that are heavily used by the public. Much more of a chance of someone seeing something.

So all in all, there is zero justification to keep Marston closed. And more than enough factual evidence to prove this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts