Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if all of my cards play out the right way, I am going to be a very happy man. I believe I intend to buy a 10 foot pond prowler. But here is my problem. Either Im not looking for the right thing, or maybe I just don't know the right key words, but I drive a 03 Saturn Ion, and I intend to put this boat on top in my car to transport it. I am not able to find a roof mount, or whatever you wanna call it, in order to do such a thing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I would get a little trailer, like for a water maggot, er Uh, a jet ski. I thing putting that boat on a roof rack would likely exceed the weight rating of the rack. It also would suck to have to grunt it up onto the roof at the end of the day.

I got a little Shorelander Tad-pull for my boat, a 12" Lund. It works like a champ. I got a hitch for my Subaru and that was that.

SS

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my thinking was, most lakes have a 14 day waiting period for boats you bring in on a trailer, but just do on site inspections of little boats you bring in of the roof of your car. And Im not sure just how much more money Ill have to spend after the boat,motor,fish finder, ect... So if I could get away with mounting it on my roof for lets say under 200 bucks, I'll be in good shape. I don't think I could get a trailer/tags for less than that. And I'd have to get a hitch thrown on the car.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-roof-racks-base-systems.html

Just get a set of the basic crossbars for a roof rack system and tie it down to that. The make feet that will fit your Saturn. I don't know what a pond prowler weighs....but it would probably be fine. I think aluminum would be lighter. ;) I put a 12' aluminum on my truck all the time.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Canoe if you keep your fish. Kayak if you don't.
Might consider a inflatable pontoon.
By the time you figure out how to haul the Pond Puke on you auto and figure out how to get it off and on and haul it down to the water add the weight of any battery and trolling motor your screwed.
Research some high quality Kayaks and Canoes. Cheap ones are like cheap fishing gear.
If your interested I'll let you try my stuff.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would definitely just strap it to the roof of your car- it can handle it, unless your hitting 25+ per mile an hour winds.... Tie it down tight...

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Earplug, I hear ya, though, I always do my fishing as a team sport, it's always me +1, so a small little 2 person boat is exactly what we need.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and thank you guys, got me going in the right direction for sure, I appreciate it

·
Registered
958 Posts
Putting that boat on top of your compact car sounds like a major hazard, regardless of the rack you find. I can imagine it working with a van, SUV, pickup, or pickup-w-topper. I had a similar boat a few years back & this is the trailer I used http://busterboats.com/trailers.html Unless you plan on getting a trailer or a different vehicle, I would suggest an inflatable pontoon.

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
Where did you get the info about most lakes have a 14 day waiting period for inspections? Do you mean the lakes you want to fish, I fish a lot of different lakes and not a one has a waiting period. I can actually only think of 3 that do! ???

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TthePikester said:
Where did you get the info about most lakes have a 14 day waiting period for inspections? Do you mean the lakes you want to fish, I fish a lot of different lakes and not a one has a waiting period. I can actually only think of 3 that do! ???
You may be right, I believe I was looking at Arvada Res. But I swear I saw the same thing for Aurora, Standley, Quincey <shrug> I may be wrong lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
TthePikester said:
another question to caveat that.... i was told the last time i was at spinney, that neither of my toons need to get inspected because they were in the back of my truck. my NFO avenger has a gas motor on it and i explained it to the kind woman at the shack. she said the state is not allowed to inspect any type of boat that is hauled into a lake without a trailer. does that seem right?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know about it not being allowed. I read on the Arvada res website that

* Trailer-mounted boats will have a new quarantine period of 14 days. This program involves inspection of the boat and trailer, and the installation of a tag connecting the boat and the trailer demonstrating that the boat has not been launched on another reservoir. Boaters who use Arvada Reservoir exclusively will notice very little impact and in fact if your boat is tagged from last year you do not need to have it re-inspected.
* Car top carry boats such as canoes, kayaks, and other small craft that are transported on the top of a vehicle will be inspected on the day of use. If clean and dry, they will be allowed to launch.
http://arvada.org/arts-and-recreation/arvada-blunn-reservoir/

·
Registered
958 Posts
I can see that pond hopper working with your Ion & the right rack, if you stay on local waters where you drive slowly to get there. I was more worried about highway speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts