Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boss is taking a few of us from work, along with spouses, on a trip to Mazatlan in April. First thing that came to mind when he told me....fishing trip! Has anyone ever done a fishing trip around that area? I have looked into a few rigs online, but everything looks good. I was definately thinking deep sea, or anything else would work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
I've been on two marlin trips out of Mazatlan, both we booked out the night before. Both times I hadn't slept. One of the trips I cut my middle finger to the bone on a shattered bottleneck 10 mins off port. Spent the entire day managing blood loss and pian with more drink. Skipper boated two neither was huge but both good fish. Second time we found fish but never could get a hook in one. It is a trip the way they spot out those fish and circle them to get them fired up and chasing! Both trips were in early May.

·
Registered
16,534 Posts
Honeymooned in Mazatlan. Wandered around the docks and found a boat to take us out 20 miles for sailfish. 4 of us paid $80 each. We each got a sailfish. 7-8 ft long and about 150 lbs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen some websites saying anywhere from $300 - $800 per day, for up to six people. There are a lot of pictures with random fish, but I definately want to catch some sailfish. Worst part about the price...they don't include beer. So before we even get on the boat, we have to double the price!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Honeymooned in Mazatlan. Wandered around the docks and found a boat to take us out 20 miles for sailfish. 4 of us paid $80 each. We each got a sailfish. 7-8 ft long and about 150 lbs.
Yeah Slayer.... did the same in, uh, the early 70's..... mid 70's.... before anyone knew where Matzatlan even was.
6 of us paid @ $400 (negotiated down from $1000) Had to bring our own food and beer and (?) well, you know...
Took us out @ 20 miles or so.. We got one Sail, One marlin, 3 Sea Dolphins ( Mahi-Mahi, but they didn't call them that back then)
Everyone got seasick but Me and my buddy, the crew ate our sandwiches, drank 3/4 of our beer, and smoked the rest... BUT they gave us our "Sea Dolphin" and we had our resort? (La Posada Familar) cook it for us... unforgettable experience, to say the least.
Nowadays, fishing charters are BIG TIME down there..... book with a reputable crew and you'll do allright... just make them provide the BEER and FOOD!

·
Registered
194 Posts
El Salto!!! We went there last spring (Easter Sunday to be exact) It was outstanding! We fished top water all day, many 5#plus fish!
Saltwater fishing in Mexico is hit or miss (been mostly miss for me) I have been probably 15 times and usually it"s just a expensive boat ride. My best trips have been in-shore light tackle outings for smaller fish.
Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts