Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Oh wait, you mean to tell me we get out there from shore just down those rocks from the road and we can catch some pigs? Sign me up. When is this happening?
First week of April every year. Go for it. You might like it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
They are nice rods. I have only experienced the model from 10 years ago. The new ones have better guides and probably slightly better blanks too. 3.5 oz for 6'6" rod ain't too shabby. I like the action on the medium fast models. They make good jerkbait rods. I "d buy one if I didn't have the option to buy something else at a better value.
I have been using my medium fast to catch all my walleye this year and it has done a great job, someone once told me you want to use a medium to medium heavy for 10lb and big jerk baits, but i've done fine with the 6'6 medium fast using 4 to 5 inch jerkbaits.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have been using my medium fast to catch all my walleye this year and it has done a great job, someone once told me you want to use a medium to medium heavy for 10lb and big jerk baits, but i've done fine with the 6'6 medium fast using 4 to 5 inch jerkbaits.
Not all 5" jerkbaits are created equal. At 5" and 1 oz, the Lucky Craft Pointer 128 will push the limits of a medium power rod. I used to love throwing that bait. I'd switch to a medium heavy for that caliber of a jerkbait. But those 128 weren't catching me any bigger fish... 😄 A Rogue Perfect 10 is 5.5" but only weighs 5/8 oz. Still fine for a medium power rod. The power rating on St Croix rods tend to be a little understated (a medium will be in between a medium and medium heavy on most other brands).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not all 5" jerkbaits are created equal. At 5" and 1 oz, the Lucky Craft Pointer 128 will push the limits of a medium power rod. I used to love throwing that bait. I'd switch to a medium heavy for that caliber of a jerkbait. But those 128 weren't catching me any bigger fish... 😄 A Rogue Perfect 10 is 5.5" but only weighs 5/8 oz. Still fine for a medium power rod. The power rating on St Croix rods tend to be a little understated (a medium will be in between a medium and medium heavy on most other brands).
Thanks for explaining. I am exclusive to smithwick 4 1/2 jerkbaits and i think they're light so probably big reason why it works for me.

Do you know any decently priced rods that are medium to medium heavy that are a good brand?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Thanks for explaining. I am exclusive to smithwick 4 1/2 jerkbaits and i think they're light so probably big reason why it works for me.

Do you know any decently priced rods that are medium to medium heavy that are a good brand?
I'm really digging the 7' medium Shimano Expride as a jerkbait rod. Overall, I think the Expride is perhaps not quite as good as the Elite. As a jerkbait rod, I think it is a better rod than the Elite. It has a little more give in the tip (without being flimsy). The 7' model retails for $280 vs $440 for the Elite. The Elite is not worth an extra $160, for my dollars. These guys got me onto the Expride:

·
Registered
303 Posts
You guys and your fancy smancy spinning rods... Ill stick to my ugly stick thanks :)

On the flip side I wont talk about how much I am willing to spend on a fly rod...haha

·
Registered
440 Posts
You guys and your fancy smancy spinning rods... Ill stick to my ugly stick thanks :)

On the flip side I wont talk about how much I am willing to spend on a fly rod...haha
You are what you use. :p

Jk you know I love you brotha! I've stepped on many rods as you know but they've all snapped abu or st. croix, the ugly stick never broke.

Your addiction for fly fishing is a mental problem. :D :p

·
Registered
440 Posts
You guys would laugh at me if I told you I caught this beast on 3 inch crappie maxx twister tail and another two same size after it. Amazes me.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Have I mentioned the 7’ UL Crappie Maxx.... sure it won’t hold the jerk baits but man it is a walleye jigging machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rods don't catch fish.

You guys would laugh at me if I told you I caught this beast on 3 inch crappie maxx twister tail and another two same size after it. Amazes me.
I have caught a 26" walleye on a 2.5" crappie tube. I have seen another MA class walleye caught on an even smaller crappie lure. Fish are opportunistic.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You speak the truth! So i ended up with a medium-heavy vendetta Abu Garcia rod. My first Abu rod it was $70 so doesn't look like it's the quality price but i liked it.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You speak the truth! So i ended up with a medium-heavy vendetta Abu Garcia rod. My first Abu rod it was $70 so doesn't look like it's the quality price but i liked it.
Darn, and I thought you were gonna use all that stimulus money for its intended purpose. Wise man, wise man. 😄 I never had a Vendetta, but people do seem to like theirs. I have even seen someone throw some 2 oz swimbaits with one of those.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Darn, and I thought you were gonna use all that stimulus money for its intended purpose. Wise man, wise man. 😄 I never had a Vendetta, but people do seem to like theirs. I have even seen someone throw some 2 oz swimbaits with one of those.
Yea, also it was the only rod that was medium-heavy at 7' poor selection of St. Croix rods at sportsman. I will give the Vandetta a try tonight with jerkbaits and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Yea, also it was the only rod that was medium-heavy at 7' poor selection of St. Croix rods at sportsman. I will give the Vandetta a try tonight with jerkbaits and see how it goes.
I think the last time I walked into a store to buy a rod or reel at a local store was more than a decade ago. There's a Cabelas 5 minutes from my house. If I get something from Cabelas, I just order it to be delivered there and pick up when it comes in, if it's an order that doesn't qualify for free shipping. Don't have to worry about them not having what I want it stock.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts