Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit McCall today for a short time. I've only ever fished this place once a few years ago and found it was not my kind of place. Decided to try it again. Caught one pathetic little stocker rainbow on a bellyache minnow. I did see something busting some shad, maybe white bass or wiper. I cast into the shad and got hit but didn't hook up. Water temp was around 39 F.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the report -- any noticeable flood damage at McCall? Will be a long time before things are back to normal in the area. I was looking at recent satellite imagery of Pella -- wow, not good. My thoughts still go out to those who suffered damage to homes and private properties in the area.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No flood damage for McCall.
Pella is wrecked. The two east ponds closest the parking area were blown out and now puddles. It looks like the far East pond is ok. The first two west ponds got hit but looks like they might make it. The back west pond looks ok but was probably breached also. It may be 2-3years before Pella is open again due to the extent of the damage and priorities. It is a low priority project now.
Lagerman = no damage
Fairgrounds lake = no damage
Mcintosh = no damage
The first big pond at Golden ponds is down to a puddle. The other two west ponds are full and look ok. There were some breaches but looks to be no real impact. The small shallow pond to the south looks ok, but I'm not sure it has fish in it (never fished it).
Sawhill ponds are all ok. Some ponds breached but no real permanent damage. All ponds full. Fishing hasn't been that great there in the past few years due to the drought.
Didn't check Walden.
Checked various other small unknown Boulder county waters with mixed results.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks, Shaun - thanks for the footwork and detailed update. Yeah, sucks about Pella. I guess they hired an engineering firm to assess options for rehabilitation and we'll see...
From the website:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Yep that's a shame about pella, I have a lot of memories of that place. That's where I caught my first bass and where my daughters caught their first fish, blue gills. I taught my younger daughter to fish soft plastics out there last summer. I guess at least I enjoyed it while I could. And who knows maybe it'll be back and better than ever in a few years.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
I would take my son there... And I caught my biggest bass out of the ruined pond. Heartbreaking....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That is a sad pic. I started fishing there in 2000, and have had some really memorable days in my tube there, One of my best days of public water bass fishing came out there, swimming a jig, prolly close to a 20# 5 fish stranger,:eek:

Over the years though(like the past 3) something changed in the ponds. Not sure what, but I have some ideas. Forage base was down, resulting in lower body mass of bass. Mebbe the C&R was actually harmful, to the lake, as there may have been too many fish per acre.

Regardless, I hope they get it all fixed up and it is forgotten about by the masses.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Fishslap, thanks for the post. Only 40 Wiper were put in there, and a good number of those were already kept. I don't think there are any White Bass in there? It can be a good multi species lake though..

From what I've heard, Pxing is a low priority, and not to expect it to open back up for a couple of years. Very sad. JWurgatf, I still remember float tubing that with you. Watching your parked car get nailed by that drunk driver ??? Hope they're wrong, and it opens soon, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Fishslap, thanks for the post. Only 40 Wiper were put in there, and a good number of those were already kept. I don't think there are any White Bass in there? It can be a good multi species lake though..

From what I've heard, Pxing is a low priority, and not to expect it to open back up for a couple of years. Very sad. JWurgatf, I still remember float tubing that with you. Watching your parked car get nailed by that drunk driver ??? Hope they're wrong, and it opens soon, but I doubt it.
X2

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

They stocked white bass in 2011. Not sure about the wiper numbers, but they were stocked twice, in 2008 & 2010. I'm guessing that any fish big enough to get a nylon stringer through its gills gets hauled out of there, including carp. However, survey data only shows about 20% of caught fish are harvested.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've only fished there a few times and it was entertaining for the fact that there are a decent variety of species in there. I've only caught little fish there but I think there is potential for some nice cats to be had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts