Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i went out to McIntosh Lake (in Longmont) to either confirm or deny the reports of smallmouth and crappie in the lake. Ive fished it before several times, but on for catfish, of which ive caught a few. I concentrated my efforts to the south side along the rocky shoreline, where i started my endeavor by casting a small chartruese and red jig with a silver spinner blade. after about 15 minutes with no hits i changed over to a floating crayfish rapala diver...and after about 15 more minutes with no hits i decided to try the old standby, a white rooster tail. As i was doing this i slowly worked my way west along the bank, concentrating on the rocks and rip rap that constituted the shoreline. after about 10 or 15 casts i managed to hook up with a smallmouth of about 10 inches...my first in that lake. I guess that proves there are smallmouth in there... or at least one. i fished for about 1/2 hour longer with 2 more hits, but no hook ups. A storm started blowing in at about 8 pm so i called it quits. The water was a bit off color and was in the 50s, so conditions are picking up. I didnt notice any real cover in the lake, so thats why i worked the rocks on the shore so hard....but i did talk to a guy that heard there was some sunken structure on that side (old xmas trees he though) so it seems the city of Longmont is putting some effort into making fish habitat there, instead of just letting it be an empty bowl-type lake which seems so common around here. The shoreline seems to be ideal spawning habitat for warmater fish of all species, so it might be worth your effort to try to get out there soon....

heres a pic of the shoreline....

and heres a pic of the smallie....

The quality of the pics isnt great, but what do you expect from taking pics with one hand....

and yeah, i was fishing with a spinning rod.... ;)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
nice fish. where in longmont is lake mcintosh?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
West end of town, off of 21st....

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes...im not sure if theres a size limit, but they allow watercraft there...however they gotta be off the water at dark...

·
Registered
902 Posts
yea, i've scoped it but haven't fished it yet. If your up in the hood the smallie fishing is hot @ boulder res. Fished the inlet for about an hour and a half today, 5 smallies, one over 14in and 2 small walleyes. Wasn't trying too hard, i have tests next week and was trying to study and fish (bad combo). any-who cheers, thanks for posting-

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Rottal said:
yes...im not sure if theres a size limit, but they allow watercraft there...however they gotta be off the water at dark...
Carrry in boats only no motors only 11 boats at time I think. Let me find rules.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been catching a few smallies on and off. The unsettled weather seems to be messing things up. I did catch a very fat smallie on the far east end of the lake up shallow probably feeding on shad. I use 3-4" grubs, craws, or tubes because you get hung on rocks quite a bit. I have caught many, many smallies out of the lake, but never anything of size. I also catch an occasional largemouth. I will post when the smallies get hot. It's a fun evening of fishing even if they are small!
You're right about the boats - not even an electric trolling motor! And to paddle down do the dam takes quite a time bucking the wind!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts