Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live by the lake and I've caught lots of small smallmouth, small cats, bullheads, crappie, and some giant carp. Has anyone caught any yellow perch or walleye? Now that the trail goes all the way around the lake, I was thinking about the inlet. Any hints, guys? Seagulls are feeding on small baitfish like crazy, but we can't get any hits on jigs and grubs.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
They put a trail in all the way around the lake? cool...i thought it was all "wildlife refuge" on the west side...and ive been curious to see how the fishing was over there.

as far as fish...ive seen some crappie caught there and a few small mouth...and ive caught a few smallish channel cats. Ive seen some huge carp there, and have caught alot of small bullheads out of there on summer evenings.

It would be a good place to take a small kid ( or a big one like myself ;) )...there lots of action on bullheads, and you can catch dozens of them once youve had your bait in the water awhile and the scent gets out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lake is in the NW corner of Longmont. As far NW as you can go without being in Hygiene, practically. You can see it from Hwy 66, about a mile W of Hoover, on S side of hwy. The trail goes all the way around the lake, but you cannot fish on the North side of the lake at all. But where the irrigation ditch feeds into the lake, there is a footbridge and a flow control dam, and some rip rap. Seems like last year I read here that someone had caught some walleyes from the lake. I saw some guys hitting the riprap dam pretty hard with minnows in the spring. My little girl (8 at the time) caught a 10 lb carp on a crawler two years ago on her Zebco 33! My other 4 yr old daughter hooked up at the same time with an 8 lb carp! I had to rescue the 4 yr old by holding the rod so she wouldn't loose the whole outfit into the drink! Oh well, we'll have fun with the little dumb smallies in a few weeks! We catch and release tons of those little fellows. Maybe I'll figure out if the walleye story is true...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Last year was my first time fishing this lake. I caught a 19 inch walleye using a green twister tail. Caught him where the dam is or what ever u call it, the first part where the rocks turn red hope that helps. Have u been out there lately was thinking about going.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We went today. Nadda. Just went for about 15 mins around noon. Wind out of East and bright sun. This weekend I hope to fish off the dam or levee and will post. I saw a guy leaving the east side of the lake by cattails - empty handed. He was catfishing.

Plan on hitting Golden Ponds soon for crappie - the only fish we ever eat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts