Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught 6 nice channel cats today with my two little girls, age 5 and 10. We accidentally caught some shad because where we were fishing the shad were stacked up. Hmmm, I thought to myself. Shad stacked up thick maybe the cats will like them. So we caught about 4 or 5 shad, cut them up, and started catching the cats. I'm ashamed to say that two fish swam off with hook, line and sinker because I neglected to change the line for this year... Gotta do that before we go back out. We looked pretty funny with me on my bicycle, 5 yr old daughter on back, three rods on handlebars, and 6 cats hanging off the handlebars. Fortunately, hubby came along and relieved me of daughter and rods! What a fun afternoon. The cats ran between 2 and 3 1/2 lbs.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Good day of fishing for you and the kids! You didn't by chace see or hear of anyone catching any smallmouth did you? Keep trying to get out there with no luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No smallies yet. We tried the face of the dam with the usual smallie baits with no luck. Also tried for crappie with no bites either. So, we settled on our third choice of fish for the day. As soon as we start catching them I will post. Last year we caught and released tons of smallmouth. Nothing big, but sure lots of fun. My girls have also caught and released 8-10 lb carp on their Zebco 33's. Pretty big fun for anyone regardless of age!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
carp are zebco killers, when I was a kid we'd strip out out zebcos (101s or 202s) fighting carp all day.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Yes, between 17th and Hover and 17th and airport. Search will bring up some discussions on it. I will post a map later for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went back the next day and caught one. It was so windy that we couldn't feel the bites and we lost all of our leftover cut up shads. We also saw another fellow with one nice channel cat. I'm really just biding my time til the crappie bite and the smallmout start up!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Doaes anybody know what other species of fish reside in "THe Mac"?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big carp, largemouth and smallmouth usually small sized, some crappie, channels, bullheads, some small bluegills. I have caught one yellow perch, and I've heard that someone caught a walleye. It's not a great fishery, but I live across the street from the lake, so it's convenient for me. Maybe one day DOW will do a survey and stock it right. It has gizzard shad and crawfish, but little vegetation.

·
Registered
702 Posts
As a kid I used to fish this lake quite a bit over by the electrical station in the canal outlet. We would bait fish for cattys, but never caught anything or have never seen any fish come out of there.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive fished this lake a few times, as i also live fairly close, and caught a few channel cats (more every year it seems) and a whole bunch of bullheads. ive seen some smallish smallmouths caught there, and if you are into carp, there seems to be a good population. its a good place to take kids...theres a park and path so the access is easy on the south side.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the seven years that I've lived across the street from the lake, I have never caught channel cats like we did a few days ago. You are right about the bullheads - tons of them. And they hit so hard you're sure you are going to have something big, and they will only be stinking 8" bullheads. Oh well, beats not fishing. I have caught a few nice crappie, but didn't really know about the crappie until last year. Another neighbor says some years we have really nice big crappie, and some years you will hardly catch any and they will be small. Pretty surprising since there isn't much cover or structure in the lake.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
What fly did you catch them cats on Rottal? :p
Flies Ken.... you know i wouldnt stoop down to taint my hands with spinning gear like the rest of you heathens ;)

Just kidding, when it comes to catching fish i have no morals or values, you know that. i caught them on BAIT. liver mostly, the king of all catfish baits....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts