Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out to McPhee Res for the weekend. I haven't fished there before, I've mostly fished the eastern slope (Antero/11 Mi). Wondering if anyone has some advice on what to use or places to look? What food source are they eatting?
I'll have a little boat and it looks like smallies and crappie might be good, but willing to go after anything I can hook. Weather won't be the best but it's the first chance I get some real time away from work so might as well fish. I'll post how things go once I get back.

thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Headed out to McPhee Res for the weekend. I haven't fished there before, I've mostly fished the eastern slope (Antero/11 Mi). Wondering if anyone has some advice on what to use or places to look? What food source are they eatting?
I'll have a little boat and it looks like smallies and crappie might be good, but willing to go after anything I can hook. Weather won't be the best but it's the first chance I get some real time away from work so might as well fish. how things go once I get back.

thanks
I would be interested in hearing how you do at McPhee. I asked on the board awhile back and didn't get any replies.

I haven't been able to go get a day without the wind, rain, snow to try it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have not actually been to this lake but would love to hear back on it, so I offer you this advice.

It appears to be a rocky lake, and I reckon that the smallies will be in a prespawn to spawn phase. I would target secondary and main lake points maybe even some steeper walls if the water was under 55 deg.

Fish will be on craws and some sorta baitfish, most lakes have shad. Small jigs with a chunk trailer, or finesse football heads which are great in rocks, not so much in brush. A jerkbait must be thrown, X-raps are great size 8 & 10. Once you find fish there will be more. Slow down fish tubes and shaky heads.

Crappies will likely be suspended around brush. Roadrunners are great for both smallies and crappie.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, all information on Mcphee I can find around the web looks slim. I definately appreciate the advice and I'll start there. Also heard rooster tails had some success. I'll poke along the branches starting at the inlet and see what bites. Car is almost packed up and we'll be on the road soon, have a good weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so a follow up is due.
Weather was not conducive to fishing, thunderstorms in and out throughout the day so not as much time as I'd like on the water. Storms chased a lot of the bass back down deeper despite some of them being gravid. In the end we bagged a couple bass and a few trout. There are definitely some nice fish in there, some folks next to us pulled in an 8 pound trout. Tube jigs worked the best for us at the time but I know some folks did well trolling a rappalla or similar jig. Fishing started to get better as we had to leave. I think it would be worth a trip back out there if we go camping along Western Colorado again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts