Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot here. Just never posted.

So here I go.
I have never been to Meadow Creek Rez. It's just outside Fraser I hear. A friend of mine wants me to go up there with him.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I don't know how to fly fish.

Thanks, guys and laides

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I like Meadow Creek and have had some luck there, though nothing great to speak of. If you live in the Den area, and are planning on going up for the day, I say go the extra few miles to willow creek, granby res., arapahoe bay, etc. I've had much better luch there than at meadow creek.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh Meadow creek reservoir...... I have fished up there some but it's been a couple years really depends if you flyfish or bait fish. The biggest issue i have up there is you really have to work to drop a row boat up on the water but if you can get one on it the fishing can be incredible. I would say brookies are the fish you'll catch most probably 10-1 over rainbows. Early in the season like now a green soft hackle stripped should pick you up some fish. Now in August there is this flying ant hatch and if you throw any size ant out you'll catch rainbows and big ones at that. I big bow here goes 14-16" a big brookie may go 8" it's a beautiful spot and make sure you take a moment and watch the osprey fish they seem to get the really big ones. I need to get back up there this summer.....

Fish

·
Registered
24 Posts
flyfishcolorado has it right for that Meadow Creek Res. I've done well there with fly and bubble set ups. Never had too much luck with bait. A few times my friends and wife have caught fish using what I call the "4 year old" technique. From the dam, thow out a small bobber with a crawler or PB about 2 or 3 feet down and reel it back to shore slowly. I would add that the creek below also holds lots of brookies. In the creek the best setup is either a flyrod or size 10 hook with a small piece of night crawler. If you have waders it helps as some of the area is pretty marshy. I'll drive up there this weekend to see how much snow is still on the road. Last year on June 1, the road was still unpassable just past the End of Winter Maintenance sign.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nate

It's been a couple years since i've been up there they by chance throw in a boat ramp up there I have had my truck almost vertical trying to get the trailer down there.

Fish

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys.

I really hope the road isn't unpassable. I was hoping to go up this weekend.
Mabe the excelerated melt off we've been having will help...

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fish,

I'm pretty sure there is still no ramp. I don't have a boat so I never looked too hard for easy access down to the water. I've actually never seen a boat on it. Canoes and belly boats seem to be the standard watercraft.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I have snuck my drift boat on it a time or two i just dont understand why they don't make it a little easier to throw an electric motored boat on it. Maybe it would spoil the charm of that place. Thanks Nate i need to sneak back up there this summer.........

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I went to Meadow Creek Friday (05-27-05) late afternoon. The road had no snow on it.
I took up my S-10 pick-up that my dad recently gave to me. Got to the reservoir, got out the truck and saw the tire was flat. Then found out the tire iron in the truck didn't fit the nuts. THEN found out that my dad ran a cable and lock through the spare. The lock was rusted and the key would not insert into it! So even if the wrench fit I was screwed.
Lucky my friend with me noticed a small hole in the tire. I had a tire repair kit, and air pump that fits into the cigg. lighter. Both of which my dad gave me for Christmas. Fixed it and got the hell out of there.

In a way, my pops screwed me and saved me lol!

There was patches of snow all over, and the lake still had ice on about half of it. Trout were hitting the surface by the dam, and I saw one family fishing. The road right after the damn had hugh puddles on it.

Not the funnest of times.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did I fail to mention the last 100 yard climb up to the lake is hell on tires. Like i said give the lake another month then go up i think you'll find the lake alot of fun to fish....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry that your trip didn't work out but thanks for report Captain TrebleHook. I didn't get to go up to the reservoir this weekend. I rode up to Winter Park with my brother-in-law and didn't feel too comfortable taking his new mini-van up that road after it had been raining for a while on sunday. I've seen people take small cars like Honda Civics up that road but that seems like asking for trouble to me. Its rough enough on my Dakota.

·
Registered
862 Posts
yea i took my minivan up to meadow creek to meet a buddy of mine last summer i had never been there before and was goin off his directions (which were terrible) and to add to it it was oh around midnight on a friday night well i basically ended up takin the good ol minivan 4 wheelin got lost for a few hours but all paid off sat as i absolutley hammered tons of rainbows nothin big but fun and also a beautful place........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts