Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For some odd reason moms compost pile produced mealworms this year. I noticed after inspecting that they are in the dry dirt in pockets, any moisture and they wernt there. Seemed to be more toward the wood edge of the pile as well. just thousands of them in there. Got bored and tired after bucketing 2000. Maybe im missing something? We have never had them before, im assuming this the where the beetles lay or laid larva and ma just caught it at the right time? Insight/ knowlegde would be great.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Grumpie... Yea man. I'm going to TRY again to take the boy up for some fishing Tuesday.

I know you probably won't be able to make it up with us, but I'd take a couple dozen or so. :). I'll let you know tomorrow... Maybe I could meet up with you Monday night. You want anything for em?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
id say your one lucky guy. I've had a compost pile for years never saw mealworms maggots on occasion but always in the summer. you may possible be able to gather them up and sell them to a pet store. or hell sell them on here for like half the price of the fishing stores.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would i be able to freeze these and use them at a later date or will the go funky if i freeze em?

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Littlemac, i dug more to see exactly where they were and they are in the dried clumped up cut grass from the summer, the wet layer below that had none. Try that ?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
will do I'm going to have to dig through it and see what i can find. but seriously they do look healthy try selling them can't hurt

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If you put them in your fridge they'll stay at that stage for a long time. Otherwise they'll continue their change into beetles.

You could try preserving them the way you would salmon eggs. I think freezing them would make them mushy.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mom wants em gone. If you wanna come dig through it your welcome to as many as you can take home.

Allen- you get none.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
catchn, I'm headed over to pick some up tomorrow. I could grab you some while I'm there. Not far from where I live.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha. Alright girls FREE mealies for all!!!!!!

(Container not provided)

·
Registered
385 Posts
catchn, I'm headed over to pick some up tomorrow. I could grab you some while I'm there. Not far from where I live.
That'd be awesome,... get fatty to take Tuesday off and haul his big butt up the hill with us,... I mean your kids gonna do the hike and he can't make it WTF??? :biggrin1:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
hahaha!!!

:)

I'll grab you some worms too. Couple dozen for each of us going.... 6-7 dozen total should give us plenty of bait, wouldn't you say?

·
Banned
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got 1000 in the freezer vaccum sealed

1 - 20 of 27 Posts