Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walleyes in the weeds!! These two (21 and 19", respectfully) hit a 2" power minnow on a 1/16th ounce orange jig. Middle of the afternoon, sunny and windy. We were fishing in "skiers cove in about 9' of water!! This is my son's first walleye, and he was elated, caught it all on his own at age 12. (Dad's a little proud).

The larger 'eye had a 6" smallmouth bass in her belly (Yup, had to selectively harvest these guys-cajun blackened YUM!)

I fished the dam in the morning and caught/released 20+ smallmouth bass, one decent rainbow, and 2 15" walleyes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
GOOD JOB!! love to see the kids catching the fish... beginning of a whole new generation!

what's it take to get in to Standley with a boat? Heard it's for area residents only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standley's tough...open to residents of westminster and jeffco, $620 for a season powerboat pass(20+HP), slept in my car to get a pass. For $13/day, you can still launch a smaller boat. Even on a busy weekend, its soooo much better than the Chat!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't heard of any wipers...I tried to fish the inlet on Monday, but ran out of time. The kids got a new tube and were more interested in that than fishing...oh, well!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks good. 
  I was fishing on saterday and sunday also.   
  We caught the eyes over by the inlet 9-15 foot of water.  10 in total on sunday seems that my wife and aunt could catch the keepers.  I could only catch a 14 inch eyes. The biggest one was 19 1/2 inches. I'll post a pic when I download them.

If you want to catch some wipers try running a 1/4 to a 1/2 ounce jig with a white body at about 3 mile per hour. Run the north shore line in the morning.

Dtromp  Look for the Green and white crestliner with a 175 and 25 horse on the back when your out some time.  I be happy to share some info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awesome pics.  Sounds like the family had a great time. 
It seems a little tougher for the shore fisherman/woman there.  Usually pretty crowded on the shorelines.  I fished it on Sun eve but narry a bite.  Two others in the area caught a few smallies and bows.
I'm waiting for the wipers too, but don't know if I'll be able to reach them from shore.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before I had a boat, I had great success simply by out-walking the competition. The walleyes in the pic could have been easily reached from shore with a little hike. A floating jerkbait would have worked just as well, and avoided the numerous weed encounters.

Mostly, I credit good karma for this catch...I'd been towing kids around the lake for hours prior to wetting a line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts