Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  On the DOW website under 2006 fishing forecast I found reports of high mercury levels found in Walleye in Brush Hollow and in Trinidad Lake.I've tried to contact the parks department here in Trinidad and my local warden this weekend to no avail.Since I regularly eat walleye out of Trinidad this poses a concern.Any ideas on where or who to find out more?The website said an advisory should be posted later this spring or summer.Would'nt it go out now if the levels could be harmful?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
coyote said:
  On the DOW website under 2006 fishing forecast I found reports of high mercury levels found in Walleye in Brush Hollow and in Trinidad Lake.
could you post a link to this. i would like to find out more on brush hollw

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thanks, probably the larger fish will have a higher mercury level

·
Registered
935 Posts
Even though levels are higher than standards for Mercury in fish in many places, the standards are written to protect children, who are sensitive to mercury during development of their brain and nervous system. Once you are an adult, you should not have a problem with the levels of mercury found in fsih, but you should avoid eating large amount of fish if you are a female, pregnant, or planning to have children.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I regularly eat walleye out of Trinidad this poses a concern

Are you experiencing any strange side effects yet?

Too many to list.As for eating the smaller ones,I normally release everything over 3lbs.The 2lbs are what I prefer anyway.None of the state boys have returned my calls yet though,guess they're not sure about the details yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts