Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Pueblo from 5 am until just before noon.  Decent morning, caught about 15.  Got one 15" smallmouth, everything else was under that down to 7-8" (this is Pueblo afterall).  Caught one spot and all the rest smallies.  Everything came on a senko and all of my better fish came 10-20 ft deep-nothing but dinks along the bank.  Water temp was 66 on the lower lake which is all I fished and water clarity was 4-5 ft with a green stain.  There was a good bite early then it seemed to go dead from 8 until about 10 then there was a good bite again.  This lake seems to do that alot-you will get dead periods for several hours then the bite will pick back up again.  Maybe its just me. ;D

There were alot  (30+ boats) of guys out trolling for the walleye but nobody seemed to be catching many.  Mostly they were out by the swim beach and the mouth to Rock Creek. 

This lake seems pretty crowded for a week day-I can't imagine whats its like on the weekend and I ain't gonna find out. :(  Ed

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Pueblo 6-8 through 6-10 Pics up now

Went to Pueblo with the wife on a short vacation. Man do we have a blast. Caught 40 fish in 15 hours of fishing and it was a blast. The DOW said Pueblo was hot and for once they were right. Only two of the fish were keepers both of them smallmouth. One was 15 inches on the nose and the other was a little less then 18 inches. Of course my wife caught the big one. Anyway all but one fish was caught on senko's in 10 ft of water or less. I did catch a lot of spotted bass, more then I normally do. Not that I am complaining some of them were 14.5 inches and really fat. If I had to guess I would say they weighed over two pounds. All in all it was a great trip. I have pics but I can't figure out how to post them.  I think I figured it out we will see here are some of the pics.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Re: Pueblo 6/9

With the water temp at 66 is there still fish spawning Ed? I didn't see any fish spawning but the water was a little stained? I believe there is a state record smallie, Largemouth, and spotted bass in there. What do you think. The largest bass I have ever caught there was about 4 1/2 pounds. (Smallmouth) The state record spot came from that lake. With the amount of shad in that lake and the growing season they have down there I think there is some big fish.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Re: Pueblo 6-8 through 6-10 Pics up now

NICE!!

Those are some good pictures!

And the fish are even better!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

waterwolve i was wondering were on pueblo you fish for smallmouth, i was up there two months ago, now that the water temp is up are they hitting pretty good ?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts

Yeah they are on fire right now. Keepers are hard to come by but if you have a bellyboat or a Regular boat you can kill them. There is a few spots that are better then others but all the coves are good. Two that stick out for me is North Marina and south marina. Really though if you pick out a cove and fish it good you will catch bass. Concentrate on the steep slopes with almost like steps on them. You can see the steps above the water on the bank. (That is what is below the water as well.) Stay about 12 yards away from the bank and pitch a senko to the bank. Work the senko very slow all the way back to the boat. Lets it sit for at least 20 seconds at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts