Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the pond right around sunset and caught tons of small crappies and sunfish and an occasional rainbow on the fly rod. It isn't exactly "gold metal" water but a great place to take kids. I don't know exactly what is stocked in there, but I saw several gold/orange carp that looked just like Japanese koi. Who knows how they got in there.
Be careful parking - I got a $25 ticket for parking on the street above the pond. I think you have to park at an office building and hike it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
they are koi, i see them in a bunch of other waters around colorado USE POPCORN thats cool i love crappie

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These were tiny crappie - no bigger than my hand. I can't imagine trying to keep anything that small - you would need 100 for a decent meal

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did catch one really nice sunfish, probably around 10 inches - and for it's size it sure fought hard - does anyone know who stocked the trout in there? I don' t think it was Colorado DOW......

C

·
0 Posts
was that the pond off lincoln and I-25 if so i can tell you that those are koi and that the trout were stocked for a fishing tournement a few weeks ago don't know who by though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wrote in another part of the Forum, about my trip to the Merdian Pond we made a few weeks ago.
The trout that are in there were put in there by the DOW, just prior to a Kids Fishing Day put on by the DOW and someone else.
When the wife and I went fishing there (for about 3 hours) a couple of weeks ago, we caught one nice size trout and two small ones on PowerBait. We put all three back. If someone just wants to go there for some "fishing fun" (with kids), the pond is fine, but for some fairly serious fishing....I'd go somewhere else.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Since I don't know where any of these places are, I often finding myself looking them up on google maps. It just dawned on me to start collecting these maps for future reference. Since I'm doing the work anyway, I will just post them here as they come up. The pond in question is highlighted in red.

Slightly bigger: http://tinypic.com/6htl77.jpg

Been looking for a place like this to bring my 6 year old daughter. I need to hurry and help her catch fish before she concludes that it's an extremely boring sport and starts whining when I take her out. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts