Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid May I have the opportunity to spend a day or 2 on the Metolius in Oregon, which I've wanted to do for quite some time.

Anyone have any experiences or advice they care to share on fishing there?

I'm in the research phase now on spots and techniques to maximize the endeavor.

I'll post up an out of state report when I get back of course.

Kind of excited!

PD

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sorry P-dog I have no info about the Metolius but it sounds like a great area to go visit and fish!

Enjoy and catch a bull trout!

Might want to check regulations before you go( i am sure you will) but I know there are some rivers out there that you CANNOT use split shot on your line. All weight has to be in the fly itself. I fished somewhere in Cali or Ore that had to follow that rule. It was pocket water so I had to use a "Spark plug" fly to get it down fast.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to catch a bull trout!

Honestly I'd just like a chance to fish this river regardless of species of trout, the scenery and environment are very appealing to me. I've heard it is not an easy river to fish.

Further......

From my reading I am understanding that NO split shot or weight is allowed, so nymphing might be a challenge, however I have found some sink tip braided leaders, but have never used them before, not sure how they will work.

PolyLeaders are like mini fly lines that are constructed the same way with a PVC coated monocore. They are tapered and act as a natural extension of your line tapering down to your tippet. They cast beautifully, and come in four densities that allow you to fish the entire water column. They are available in Clear Floating, Intermediate Sinking (1.5 inches/second), Fast Sink (3.9 inches/second), and Super Fast Sink (6.1 inches/second). Each leader has an exposed monocore tip to attach your tippet in whatever fashion you prefer from blood knot to triple surgeon's, or tie a perfection loop for a loop-to-loop connection.

• The Trout Leader is 7-feet and you can add 4- to 8-ft. of 2- to 12-lb. tippet depending on conditions.
  • The Salmon Leader is 10-feet and you can add 4- to 8-ft. of 8- to 24-lb. tippet depending on conditions.
Both Trout and Salmon are available in all four densities.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I had to fish a couple of rivers with that reg. It was a bit of a challenge for me. But I bought flies of different size/wt to adjust for the lack of split shot use.

It worked out. Not great but I managed a Bull :smile:

Did not know what it was at the time, I remember looking at it and saying it wasn't a bow and not a brown or brookie so thought it might have been a different strain of rainbow?. Once I saw a pic of a Bull it was dead on match.

If you are a tier than I suggest finding what flies to tie and wrap lead on them with varying wt to be somewhat prepared if you do not want to buy weighted flies.

I am racking my brain if I actually fished the metolius or not. I remember fishing a lrg spring fed river with a hatchery near by but the hatchery was closed at the time I was there. I use lrg loosely, not a creek but also not a typical Ore lrg river.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input CF. I don't tie, but I have a few buds who do so I'll have them do some weighted patterns. I am also going to get a couple of the sinking leaders and I'll try them here in Colo b-4 the trip.

Way to go on getting a bull!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Take a gander at Westfly.com. There should be some good information about the Metolius and perhaps a report or two. While living in Oregon (18 years) I fished the Metolius several times but my heart was always leading me to the Deschutes.

If you get bored out of your mind, stop at the Camp Sherman store and pick up some Cheeto's. They are a popular treat for the fishies that live near the bridge.

There is a good flyshop in Three Sisters that will give you some good information as well. Don't remember the name of the shop but I always found they were friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Found this on a forum ifish.net (someone on here gave me that forum info)
Ran a search on there real quick and found the following. I will see what else I can find. These were dated around April (not sure what yr).

articulated bunny leech. (white or purple) Large black stones work sometimes too.
That's all ya need. 4-5". I personally like white since It's visible and I can position the offering right to the fish once I find a school. Generally if you see one, there are a number there. Being the very aggressive feeders they are, get that fly near them, then strip it psat there face fast. Then hold on!! large white bucktail streamers tied with some peacock herl and a bit of yellow and red have done me well in the past, but the articulated leech pattern is now my favorite.

've caught many of them indicator nymphing with a golden stone nymph and a smaller dropper like a pheasant tail. One of the largest bulls I ever landed actually took a size 16, olive soft hackle.

My favorite though is to fish them on a heavy sink-tip line like a Teeny, cut back to about 15 feet of sinktip. About 4 foot of 10 lb. leader tied to a 6-7" home-tied streamer made of wool, rabbit, and krystal flash.

Cast above where the fish is/are and stack mend to allow the streamer to get down to their depth. Most of my strikes have been during the last couple of mends, or on the swing. However, I have had them swat the fly during the retrieve as well. On the retrieve, I like to vary the length and speed of my strips.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks CF, appreciate the further info.

Also a possibility of a fall trip up there and if that one comes to be a reality I'd be targeting sea run cutts ( going a different direction in the state), so that's yet another adventure!

I have family in Hood River, which is up the Gorge outside of Portland.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
gorgeous area(hood mt) Spent 8 months or so in Hillsboro, or. did not care for that town but loved the view of Mt HOOD every morning in the summer. Could not see it the rest of the yr. Summers there are some of the best I have ever experienced, the other ten months they can have.

You're welcome sir, glad to help.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I lived in Gresham (suburb of Portland) for 18 years. Ya gotta learn to love the rain. Actually some of the best fishing is when it is overcast and rainy. Lots of rivers and lakes to fish as well as rivers along the coast where searun cuts can be had.

Metolius is one of the prettier rivers but can be difficult to fish. The fish are well educated but can be had with patience. It is one of the better rivers for bull trout and don't be surprised if you catch a redside and have it swiped by a large bull....happens quite often.

Not kidding about the cheetos and Camp Sherman bridge. Some of the flyfishing buddies up in Oregon talked about designing a cheeto fly but don't know if that ever panned out. Hood River has a nice run of steelhead and rainbows so if you get time you might want to hit that river up as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The scenery and difficulty are my attractions to the Metolius. I honestly didn't consider the potential for bull trout, but now you guys have me thinking.

Appreciate the input Pilotfly , I'll be sure to post some pics up regardless of how well or miserably bad I do there.

I'll probably try to elicit some advice on sea run's later in the season too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great river. I lived in Corvallis for 12 years. It used to be a great river when they stocked it. Now everything is non-hatchery fish. We used small section of leaded line to get the flies down. We would use leaded fly line and cut it at 6", 12" 18". Put loops on both ends.

Connect between the fly line and leader. I don't know if this is still legal so check regulations.

Also hit the Deschutes River. Pay the extra fee to fish on warm springs Indian reservation.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips Dennis. Much appreciated. I plan on using a heavy sink leader with a larger fly with a tungsten bead to get my pattern fly down.

I have never visited the river so I do not know how deep runs are, so a lot of unknowns on top of the challenge of not being allowed to use split shot while nymphing..

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I lived in Corvallis it was my home river. The Camp Sherman general store always had lots of gear, fly’s and suggestions. The Metolius river is a blast to fish and I am sure you will have a great time. The Metolis river comes from a underground cave so water temperature stays pretty much constant year round. No run off issues either.

You might also consider going over to the coast on one of the many Steelhead Rivers or going down south to the Umpqua. All in all, lots to see and do.

You might also try www.west-fly-fishing.com which is a similar fishing board that covers Oregon.

On an unrelated note, when you are there you are not allowed to pump the gas into your vehicle. No Self Service. All attendant pumped gas.

Also no sales tax in Oregon which ROCKS.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Another couple of places that are close are three creek Lake, Fall River and Crooked River. Between them you will always find a Great place to fish.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How come nobody's mentioned Deschutes? We had fun on the upper Deschutes, out of a lake I don't remember the name of. Hope you have lots of time to explore when you go.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How come nobody's mentioned Deschutes? We had fun on the upper Deschutes, out of a lake I don't remember the name of. Hope you have lots of time to explore when you go.
Plan on exploring the Deschutes too, I have about a week up there so me and the missus are just gonna relax and enjoy nature and scenery with a little fishing mixed in for good measure.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just a short word of caution with the Deschutes (which I claim as my home waters even though I now live in Montrose).....anyway, if you have a dog make sure you watch him closely if hiking along the Deschutes while fishing. It is just about time the rattlers start coming out and it would be a shame to have the family pet get bit.

On a side note, as Dennisokey mentioned, the Crooked River is another nice spot to visit. It is just east of Prineville which is also close by the middle Deschutes. Depending on which way you come from Hood River you can hit all three (Deschutes, Crooked, and Metolius without going too far out of your way.

By all means visit the Camp Sherman store. Not sure it is that time of year but if the missus is of that bent, there is a yearly quilting festival in Sisters which is just a hop skip and a jump from the Metolius (which you will probably drive through any way you approach the Metolius).

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was thinking of the Deschutes up by that string of lakes - snakes aren't so bad up there, are they? I wouldn't get in 50 miles of that lower D.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts