Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone suggest metro area lakes and ponds that are good for Bass primarily and also panfish. Crappie or bluegills. I have had no luck the last year for these fish and before that I trout fished on the west slope, that was great but now I live here. I love Bass fishing but need to learn some of the local spots. Thanks..

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are some small lakes/ponds on the south end of Chatfield that have produced some keeper bass for me. I used a small power tube on a 1/16 oz leadhead below a bobber to get them. I hear union and standley lakes can produce some bass as well as a lot of other good panfish.
Good Luck

L

·
0 Posts
saw hill ponds in boulder. union in longmont velie(sp) lake in boulder boulder res lonetree lonhagler in loveland carter res in loveland lots of lakes u can go to sportsmans and pick up the 2006 reg book they list all the small ponds and lakes and the species they contain lots of little gems that produce some nice numbers and decient size. Also if u can meet some people that have access to some private ponds they hold some lunkers for sure. I know of some ponds in Berthoud that u can catch 50-100 bass a day some reaching in the 8lb range. killer fishin but that was before the woman who owned the ponds died of cancer 3 yrs ago so I have not been back since.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Quincy IMO is one of the best places in the Metro Area for good size and numbers of Bass.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Go to ur local tackle shop or the closest Walmart (walley world) and purchase the DOW's Fishin Close to Home. UL have more lakes / ponds than u can fish in a lifetime at ur fingertips....

·
Registered
307 Posts
I diddo Quincy as a good place for bass. Lot's of rules like no live bait, size limits, bag limits, no dogs, no liquor, plus rangers that check everything almost every time out and no access for most boats. But the Bass there love Senko plastic worms :).

·
Registered
307 Posts
I didn't know that, thanks Ken. That's what I caught all the bass with, now what? More rules. Are Senkos only banned at Quincy?

M

·
0 Posts
Ditto to you guys about Quincy. Does anyone know if Freshwater Basics (Sportsman's) makes a cigar style worm like a senko? They make pretty good unscented tubes, but I haven'tooked for worms yet.

Another thing that works at the Q is jigging a kastmaster along the bottom before the weeds come in. Bass seem to like an orange and silver pattern...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Man, I find it hard to cope with fishing for bass without scented plastics. I bass fish with scented plastics almost religiously in the spring, pre-spawn that is. And I do so mainly because I love to rig my plastics weedless and weightless... And the plastics I favor are all made scented. And not as much for the scent, but the movement/texture/design of the lure. Favs are YUM and Culprit plastic worms.

Speaking for most of us, we're all gon' hafta adapt to different styles of plastics that aren't scented. And most styles that aren't scented don't have the movement that I want. So so sad... But I guess it's another trick to learn: The trick of finding the right unscented lures to replace the old favs then how to use em.

But still, I'll miss those for my "artificial only waters"
:'(
1eyeReD

·
Registered
943 Posts
i was at one of the dow meetings regarding this and until this state does away with all the trout they are not going to change it.the reg was put in to stop people from using gulp worms at spinney. ??? ???

·
Registered
307 Posts
My son was 15 last year. He never really wanted to go fishing all that much. Last year he went to Quincy and caught quite a few LM including one that was about 21 1/2" all on Senkos. Also a few big trout. He released them all. He thought that was really cool. He took pictures of his fish and was really proud of himself.
Now when I tell him he can no longer use Senkos I suspect his interest will diminish. The first time he sits there and doesn't get a bite, he will likely not go again. I know that he doesn't sound like a true fisherman but that's reality, kids these days have other things to do and catching something keeps them interested. What harm was being done with plastic worms. I agree with McFish and others, changing the regs sucks!

·
Registered
593 Posts
The regulation is not set in stone yet. I spoke to Robin Knox at the Bass Pro grand opening; he said that the DOW was giving this new regulation a trial run and it could change back next year. What it is going to take is a LOT of people calling Robin and others at DOW and work on them to change this unenforceable and ridiculous rule. By the way, Robin can be reached at 303-291-7362. The more we complain, the better chance we have of changing the rule.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TC said:
The regulation is not set in stone yet.  I spoke to Robin Knox at the Bass Pro grand opening; he said that the DOW was giving this new regulation a trial run and it could change back next year.  What it is going to take is a LOT of people calling Robin and others at DOW and work on them to change this unenforceable and ridiculous rule.  By the way, Robin can be reached at 303-291-7362.  The more we complain, the better chance we have of changing the rule.
This is the sentiment that I have got from the DOW Officers I have talked to. It is not a localized issues either, pretty much all the offices in the state has had complaints. The best thing to do is attend Angler roundtables that show up and voice your opinion on the issue.

D

·
0 Posts
TC said:
The regulation is not set in stone yet.  I spoke to Robin Knox at the Bass Pro grand opening; he said that the DOW was giving this new regulation a trial run and it could change back next year. 
You evidently had a far different conversation with him than I had. I talked to him the same day at BPS and it was like talking to a wall. It certainly was not a dialogue. And he made it clear that DOW really didn't care what we fishermen thought about this particular regulation. :mad:

G

·
0 Posts
TC said:
The regulation is not set in stone yet.  I spoke to Robin Knox at the Bass Pro grand opening; he said that the DOW was giving this new regulation a trial run and it could change back next year.  What it is going to take is a LOT of people calling Robin and others at DOW and work on them to change this unenforceable and ridiculous rule.  By the way, Robin can be reached at 303-291-7362.  The more we complain, the better chance we have of changing the rule.

Be afraid, Be very, very afraid! New Mexico G&F closed the Hatchet mountains to hunting in about 1970 for a trial period. Enacted SIKES act in 95 or so for a 3 year trial. Still that way! The trial story is to get through the public coment period then they do what they want. If it can be changed it willl be by lots of comments right away- otherwise, keep shopping for "un-sented, un-salted" baits.

·
Registered
593 Posts
This is exactly what we need to do. Complain NOW, LOUD and OFTEN!! Don't just say your piece and feel you did your part. We pay the people who make these descisions, so we are in charge. Problem is, most people don't understand this and will not do anything about it. Remember, it is the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts