Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about hitting Aurora or another metro area lake tomorrow? Anybody know how the ice is holding up, it was warm these past few days so I am a little concerned. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Was just at Aurora about 2 hours ago, Fished the NE side. Ice was a good 8". 4-5" of clear with about 3" of cloudy white ice on top. And after the warm day and the winds there was about 1/2" of water covering almost the entire lake.(probably an inch by the end of today my guess) Also there was a couple inches of water by the edge when we were leaving but had no trouble whatsoever getting off the ice.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I drove past Bear Creek Lake this afternoon. Soda Lake has no ice. Bear Creek was showing a lot of open water with gray ice. I saw people on it (as I drove passed quickly on C470) but personally, I wouldn't do it. Slayer was that you?

There were a TON of people fishing Georgetown. Just keep in mind that the Breckenridge Ice Sculpting Festival is this weekend and the ESPN Winter X-Games are going on at Snowmass. Not to mention the 3 lakes ice fishing contest up at Granby.

It's going to be a long drive home if you go up I-70 tomorrow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, I just popped down to Bear Creek myself. A good couple of feet of open water and icebergs near the shore, but somewhat decent ice once you jump 'the gap'.

There were probably a couple dozen brave souls out there.

The ice is cloudy, but at least the temperatures are going to crash the day after tomorrow.

It's weird that BC has a lid on it, yet Soda is wide open.

·
Registered
297 Posts
RVinson said:
Was just at Aurora about 2 hours ago, Fished the NE side. Ice was a good 8". 4-5" of clear with about 3" of cloudy white ice on top. And after the warm day and the winds there was about 1/2" of water covering almost the entire lake.(probably an inch by the end of today my guess) Also there was a couple inches of water by the edge when we were leaving but had no trouble whatsoever getting off the ice.
I bet zman was giggling like a schoolgirl.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Zmans giggler is going to freeze solid Monday night thru Wednesday night... :-[

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cherry Creek is on Fire for walleye with 6-10 inches of ice! Aurora Res is also killer right now for bow bows, and can't forget about those tasty perch ;D with a good 4-8 inches of ice. I have only taken about 80-100 perch out there this year, does anyone know where I can find them mutants?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just got back from Aurora Resevoir, Fished the south end using minnows and a casty. Had one fish on and made a classic rookie mistake! Got tangled up in my other line and lost it. Two guys fishing close to me and had bites but no luck! If anyone plans to go out tomorrow I hope you have a heater!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
F.F Woodycooks said:
zman said:
buy an auger, fatman.
Fellow Fatman...

I have 2 augers...

Going to the delaneys...ice fishing is still for people that dont understand boat control...

·
Registered
297 Posts
zman said:
F.F Woodycooks said:
zman said:
buy an auger, fatman.
Fellow Fatman...

I have 2 augers...

Going to the delaneys...ice fishing is still for people that dont understand boat control...
conforming is for people who live by the motto "if you can't beat them, join 'em". there's vitirol in your words there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts