Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with colonative and Soxfan at 7:00am at Chatty to check the report of early staging eyes, see what the flood of last year did to the lake and to just get out for a day with friends relaxing! We had a plan that we all thought sounded pretty good so took off from the ramp in search, water temp to start was about 43 degrees. Got to the first spot and it looked like the Dead Ocean, not even a stinkin shad swimming through. Proceeded to the second spot, the 3rd spot...WTF...NOTHING, not even a slimer or smally swimming through!!! We weren't the only ones either, we were the 3rd boat on the lake and just a few more came that early and all were moving around looking. We talked to a couple of other boats and they gave up on the eyes and went to trolling MRT's with little luck. Hmmmmmmmmm!!! Change of plans after covering most of the lake, my FF screen looked like a road map of the USA!!! We finally found some baitballs which are not as plentiful as reports had made it, we dropped on them after seeing some big marks herding them around and a short time later the 1st fish was on...YES!!! I pulled up a whopping 3" shad!!! Skunk off...LOL...dropped him back down dead stick and it didn't last long as a sneaky robber snatched it and took off. Colonative was next with a nice little perch, Soxfan next with a nice perch, me next with a nice lil perch. Didn't expect to compete with a great amount of shad for the eyes but we really did not see the shad we have in past years and really didn't see the eyes we have in past years. We knew it would be tough being this early in the season but we really hope with the nets going in later next week they find the flood didn't wipe out the good spawners! We did end up with 6 or 7 perch, Soxfan pulled in a nice 13 or so smallie, two 3" shad and 4 leaves! Beautiful day, slight chop at moments, pure glass surface the other moments but it was just great to get out!!! Worst part of the day was while we were stowing the boat, I slipped off the top step from the front and landed on some stowed gear...twisted my ankle completely under and broke my frickin foot. Wife had the same injury a few years ago and since it's what they call the top foot there really is nothing they can do, called a Baseball pitchers injury...when they come off the mound wrong and roll the ankle under...SUX!!! THX guys for a fun day and we'll get'em next time!!! :smile:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Was there, yesterday, too.... same results... not much.
Hit about 10 spots.... very few marks, let alone bites...
BUT, typical for Chatty this time of year.
Did talk to a CPW wildlife person as he was taking His boat out last Monday..
He did say that Their "gill net survey" done late last Sept. showed all fish populations were at or very near the 10 year average... EXCEPT for shad..
The shad population was about 20% higher than in previous years...

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Tony I saw the title and thought it was a thread about all the punk asses in Chicago at the trump rally on both sides...sorry about your bad luck fishing with the foot glad you got out...

Well at least you got sunlight...Ninja and I hit Shatty (I gotta give Tim Hurley credit when he texts me about his escapes at Chatty he has always referred to it as Shatty (Shitty past tense)...I think it should be adopted like Slayer's the Crack (Creek)...Crack and Shatty and Jurassic Pond (Aurora) to the east...well as I started to say Ninja and I hit Shatty last night...it was my maiden voyage of the season for my boat (my son got married at the beginning of the month in Palm Springs taking me out of the opener)...what was I thinking my first boat trip of the year on friday night after work in the dark?...the dark makes simple tasks ten times as tough and there was only a sliver of a moon...got out of work 45 minutes late and east to home to grab the boat...traffic from hell back west...got to Shatty 45 minutes late at 7:45...Ninja was patiently waiting...I don't like to troll but this was Nate Zelinsky's big fish board bite...got the boat launched without issue...on the way parking the truck I texted Nate...you out here?...got an immediate lol no home in the garage rigging the new Lund...wait until you see this monster (108 inches wide) like the Queen Mary of fishing boats...beyond nice boat Nate saw it at the Larimer fishing expo (didnt touch it didnt want to be blamed for the Zcurse as two Z's in the boat have traditionally been more karma than a trip can take...lol but Grababrewski and Tiny got all the Moosecock they could handle on that trip <snicker>...Grababrewski took the Moosecock on the road to see Nate at the 23rd Annual St Paul Ice Fishing and Sports Show...boy was Nate surprised lololololol...oh the people I have met and fished with on this forum (thank you all you know who you are)...well I digress...I knew going in that Nate hadnt been hitting Shatty yet so I warned Ninja...well it was a night to troll and talk and I aint much of a troller...the fish did not cooperate either...trolled rogues on boards at varying prescribed intervals...for 4 hours we were blanked...not a ton of boats on the lake...when it is on the lake can be like Grand Central Station...people were leaving when we did around 12:30 am talked to a few in the lots and nothing for them either...I do so much better walking shoreline this time of the year...wind got chilly around midnight...oh well it was better than having to do the leadcore small crank bite at the Crack (lead core is like sex with 27 rubbers on...just not that important)...will do it again when the bite picks up...wonder how much of it is fish swept out of the reservoir with last year's flood and water purge leaving less fish and more shad (saw a ton of shad and marked a bunch of fish in places)?...since walleyes go downstream with running water and saugeyes go upstream (its why the DOW leaned towards saugeyes on the eastern plains reservoirs with drawdowns)...anyway starting to ramble...havent done a report in a long time...I dont do sentence structure...I have to at work...havent in 20,000+ posts aint starting now...get over it...thanks for going Ninja...I warned it might be very slow...

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What boat were you in bud? Did you guys see the shad ball we had say 2 years ago cuz we didn't.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My Dad was out there also, his day was about the same as yours. Bummer on the foot, hope it heals quick

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THX Mac! Z, I left the lake at about 3:30 and didn't get home til 5:00...I hate driving in this city anymore especially dragging a boat or 5th wheel!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Ouch on the foot!! Get better soon Tony!

At least you guys got out and fished (Z, Tony and the rest).

Me, Im stuck in a hotel room traveling for work.. :mad2:

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THX PD...work SUX!!! I should add that I was talking to the inspectors and they told me the Eurasian Milfoil has also been found in Chatty along with the Mudsnails. They said the Milfoil is floating around Massey and he asked that if anyone sees any floating around to pull it aboard and dispose of it in the parking lot. Also told me they found a boat in dry storage that was loaded with Mussels which was from Oklahoma. Since it was a huge type boat they has to totally sterilize it, scrape it and flush it before he could launch...it's coming!!!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Yep and Denver water and Jurassic Pond water will probably freak and just shut places down...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Sorry about the foot Tony-at my age an injury like that would take months to heal. A young guy like yourself will be all better in a week!!! :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Bummer about the foot Pikester. At least it won't keep you from fishing from a boat though.

Z, although we got the skunk from Shatty; I had a blast listening to some of the stories and you doing your best rendition of Grumpy Old Men. Wouldn't change anything about it except for the lost trailer part.....

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Sound like a good day with good friends!
Sucks about the foot. I know how little stuff like that can happen. I fell getting out of Slayers boat the day after Thanksgiving 2014. I was getting out of the boat in the parking lot and my leg was 6" too short to reach the trailer. I went down and jacked up my shoulder. Ended up with a torn rotator cuff and my bicep tendon got knocked out of place. Had surgery 7/1/15 and I am still not back to 100 percent. Sucks getting old! Hope you heal fast.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
lol- thats what ya get for pulling my posts the other day in "buy and sell".

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
I didnt do it...no reason for me to be punished...

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
THX PD...work SUX!!! I should add that I was talking to the inspectors and they told me the Eurasian Milfoil has also been found in Chatty along with the Mudsnails. They said the Milfoil is floating around Massey and he asked that if anyone sees any floating around to pull it aboard and dispose of it in the parking lot. Also told me they found a boat in dry storage that was loaded with Mussels which was from Oklahoma. Since it was a huge type boat they has to totally sterilize it, scrape it and flush it before he could launch...it's coming!!!
They found the milfoil and water fleas last spring. Mudsnails are new this year.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Nope I am a realist I am smart enough to know what bottom line pays the bills and it aint the paltry number of hard core anglers that exist in this state...I also know the water police isnt going away in an arid state with a huge population base...the agencies that control the water could care less if you can recreate on it or not if push comes to shove...how many annual passes you think think they sell at Aurora in a year?...I bet it doesnt cover rangers and liability insurance to run the place...if they felt their water quality was threatened they would shut it down quicker than you can say "my huge hearted girlfriend firehosed the toaster but I still charged her for half the gasoline" <snicker>...its 15 years later and I still cant walk a good number of dams due to terrorists blowing them up so no one as a result gets access...siding has nothing to do with it...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts