Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I mostly fish for bass in the Fort Collins area, but around Denver, I've done well at Pella Crossing and Ward Road Pond and have heard good things about Sawhill, Lowell, Chatfeld Ponds, Main and Smith Lake. Also Quincy is one of my favorite places in the state to fish for bass (I caught a 21-inch smallmouth there a few years ago and have caught numerous 18+ inch largemouths there), and Chatfeld Res is great for smallmouths, though you have to fight through the smaller bass to get to a good one (you can catch small smallies all day off the dam face on minnows or shiners under a bobber or plastic worms).

·
Registered
119 Posts
I heard someone on this board a couple months ago discussing some ponds that were supposed to open some time this summer somewhere in the metro Denver area (I can't remember where exactly). From what the poster said, the DOW is claiming that there are huge, state-record sized largemouths here. Anyone know where I'm talking about? If so, is there any updates on when these ponds will open?

·
Registered
314 Posts
In the booklet containing regs, there is a reference to the South Platte Fishing Lakes, I think. I remember reading that they are to be open mid-2005. So that should be any time now. Do you think those are the ponds?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
MileHighBassin --- State Record Bass !!!!?    :eek:    THINK! THINK! Where!?    ;D
Dunbar? --- What happened to Red Sox Rock?

Seriously, If anyone finds out what ponds/lakes this is. Please let me know. P.
M. me or something.
                                                                           Thanks,
                                                                                        James
Pescado loco --- If they are the S. Platte, thanks. I'll try to look into those.   

·
Registered
119 Posts
Speaking of state record bass, is anyone else hearing all this hype surrounding huge bass being caught at Cherry Creek (A 10 pounder caught by one woman; a dozen 5 or 6 pounders caught by a Longmont fisherman named David Whifield) Check the front page of the DOW's fishing conditions page for more info http://wildlife.state.co.us/fishing/fishcond.asp .

I'm thinking about heading down to Cherry Creek this weekend and throwing some big Rainbow Trout and Shad pattern swimbaits, some 10-inch worms, Senkos/Wave Worms and Jigs-N-Pigs. Anyone been out there lately and tried for some of these big bass? If so, I'd love to hear about some nice spots accessible from shore. I've only fished CC once, for a little while after fishing Quincy, and I only fished the dam for crappie and walleye but with no luck.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No way dante RED SOX ALL THE MAN.Two years in a row.

Milehighbassin-I've been wanting to fish sawhill are the bass numbers good there?Thanx wat color wave stix?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dunbar said:
Milehighbassin-I've been wanting to fish sawhill are the bass numbers good there?Thanx wat color wave stix?
I've only been fishing for bass at Sawhill for a couple days, but so far it seems like the ponds are loaded with bass. I've walked right pass the front ponds and straight to the back ponds (the people I've seen fishing the front two ponds by the parking lot didn't appear to be doing that good). I'm not sure what number the pond that I've been fishing is (the ponds are number 1-13), but it's one of the medium-sized ponds with tons of vegatation. The bass have really been hammering the Wave Worms I've been using; I think they're Cinnamon/Blue Flake, though I'm not completely sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts