Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and Luke(FistFullaFish) hit Chatty yesterday 11:30-3:30ish..... We fished just north of the soth boat ramp... There was another group over off catfish flats and a group out from massey draw.

Anyway.... The ice is starting to get a little bit beat up... It was still "safe" but with the warm temps and wind yesterday it was absolutely taking toll on the ice!

BTW: We marked 1 fish each and didnt even get a bite!! We had planned on staying until past dark thirty but the wind was brutal!!

Here are some pics of the ice conditions:

Where we got on/off the ice

Getting slushy on top on the way out @ 3:30ish

Looking North from the west side of the marina(notice the crack to the left.. more pics to come)

Crack

Crack was plenty big enough to fit my foot into it.. maybe not the safest thing for me to do LMAO

Ice was still 6.5" ..... only about 4" of it was quality ice though

Random pic of Luke fishing.... NOT open water by him just diff. colored ice:

Also I saw on FB a very well known member of this site went through the ice @ Cherry Creek yesterday..... I am not going to name any names but he was prepared and made it out safe!!

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
So Slayer, how wet did ya get? :rolleyes: :madgrin:

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Slayer to his credit went somewhere else in town and determined the ice wasnt safe and thought better of it...

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
Slayer to his credit went somewhere else in town and determined the ice wasnt safe and thought better of it...
Well that's good!!! Hope the person that did go through is OK!!! Lucky it sounds like! That's why I bought the Ice Armor floating suit!!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Went out there Tues. for a look see..
Found that same "crack" in the ice, it was only, maybe 4-5" wide..
Bent down and looked into it... amazing how brite the bottom looked...
The area was maybe 8' deep... You could see the bottom surface and all the little details down there...
Didn't realize that it could get that "brite" under the ice cover...
Seemed like that ice cover just amplified the sunlite under it...
The area just West of the main point has been gettin "hammered" the last month or so....

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
I ice fished a pond in town a week ago and had my camera with me watching perch...sunlight to the bottom in 25 feet of water...Aurora with its clarity is worse...Creek gets clear enough to use a camera too...think about it in the winter clarity improves for the most part unless it is shallow and weedy where when the weeds die off it gets ugly with water quality...but you have no wind or current so sediment pushed by waves settles out and clarity improves...as a result I usually go to more natural colors in our clearer lakes...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went out there Tues. for a look see..
Found that same "crack" in the ice, it was only, maybe 4-5" wide..
Bent down and looked into it... amazing how brite the bottom looked...
The area was maybe 8' deep... You could see the bottom surface and all the little details down there...
Didn't realize that it could get that "brite" under the ice cover...
Semmed like that ice cover just amplified the sunlite under it...
I was able to see the bottom very clearly.. evn saw a white curly tail grub sitting on the bottom LOL

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Also I dont know it to be a fact but supposedly the individual who went thru yesterday had a pfd under his jacket otherwise getting out would of been sketchy it sounds like...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also I dont know it to be a fact but supposedly the individual who went thru yesterday had a pfd under his jacket otherwise getting out would of been sketchy it sounds like...
I also saw that he had posted he was wearing a PFD and had picks.... Glad my Ice suit floats!! no need for a pfd

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Yep Ricky I have one of those too...50 bucks more than a regular ice suit...I have now had it about 2 years or roughly 2 dollars a month...

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
Yep...this is the one I now have!!! Worth every penny!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I drove over CC dam at about noon yesterday and the ice looked pretty bad. Can't say what the actual ice thickness was, but I did not see anyone on the ice..

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Surprised the auger was skinny enough to fall thru the hole he made!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Bud can sell him a new one at Gander...speaking of other ice breakers...

1 - 20 of 99 Posts