Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty new to this whole thing and have been wanting to catch some walleye. I was wondering if anyone could provide some sort of insight towards catching walleye from shore (I'll also be in a small boat sometimes) at Chatfield and/or Cheryr Creek reservoirs. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Rainbow sparkle power bait on a big ol' treble with about a 2oz egg sinker always works. And you should be fishing sloans lake >:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rainbow sparkle power bait on a big ol' treble with about a 2oz egg sinker always works. And you should be fishing sloans lake >:D
Gee thank you so much! I didn't think someone would actually tell me what to use and where to go! You must really be a "super moderator."

I've tried the search and it seems like pretty much everything I find is 4yrs old or more.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Right now I would look for a rocky point or secondary points that connect to the river channel. especially at Chatfield! Then I would fish those area's at night with jerkbaits and Rattle Traps. During the day is tough right now from shore! Any lake that has a Shad forage base is going to have most of the fish suspended out over the channel hammering the billions of small shad that hatched this summer.

There are always walleye in the weeds also. But those kind of area's very tough to fish from shore!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I would look for a rocky point or secondary points that connect to the river channel. especially at Chatfield! Then I would fish those area's at night with jerkbaits and Rattle Traps. During the day is tough right now from shore! Any lake that has a Shad forage base is going to have most of the fish suspended out over the channel hammering the billions of small shad that hatched this summer.

There are always walleye in the weeds also. But those kind of area's very tough to fish from shore!
Thank you! I was thinking about trying some x-raps out there. I guess I probably need an underwater topo to help.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I am pretty new to this whole thing and have been wanting to catch some walleye. I was wondering if anyone could provide some sort of insight towards catching walleye from shore (I'll also be in a small boat sometimes) at Chatfield and/or Cheryr Creek reservoirs. Any help would be appreciated.
I suck ass at walleye fishing... The best advice I can say is to listen to Neal because the the other walleye fishermen of the forum are going to tell you tough **** and figure it out yourself. those lakes you mentioned are ******* lakes, especially now in the heat of the summer. You should just drive up to carter, horsetooth, miracle mile or John Martin spillway. (Only places I've ever caught eyes) if you're that hard up for em.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
listen to some of the suggestions above in terms of baits and location, but nothing will teach you more than spending lots of time on the water chasing them. Early spring and fall best times from shore.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Neal targets large walleyes mostly at night...Catches some great fish..just realize that it's generally not a fast bite and you need to put in a lot of time on the water to be successful.

If you're just getting started..and want to fish in the daytime..It's cheap. Get yourself 25 1/4oz and 3/8ths ounce jig heads. You'll lose a lot. Next get yourself some tube jigs..watermelon is a good color..some twister tails..I like white or chartreuse..some sassy shads or gulp minnows. If you like..and this time of year it may help you..you can tip the twisters or tubes with a half a crawler.

Find an area like Massy (sp) draw at Chatty..or the point off the swim beach or the dune off the dam at the Creek. In the spring..cast out and jig the lure/bait back..this time of year..slowly drag it on the bottom..no hopping. When you feel any weight, give the fish/that weight you feel.. the tip of your rod..may take a moment or two before you know he has it...and then set the hook.

At Chatty...in a small boat...launch at the South Marina...when you get to the no wake buoys..take a right..good size flat right here and you can avoid a lot of the ski traffic out by the bridge or the old roadbed. You should be able to spend the entire day on that flat catching fish. Fish the top of the flat and all of the edges..Not going to say you'll catch any over 18 inches.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Neal targets large walleyes mostly at night...Catches some great fish..just realize that it's generally not a fast bite and you need to put in a lot of time on the water to be successful.

If you're just getting started..and want to fish in the daytime..It's cheap. Get yourself 25 1/4oz and 3/8ths ounce jig heads. You'll lose a lot. Next get yourself some tube jigs..watermelon is a good color..some twister tails..I like white or chartreuse..some sassy shads or gulp minnows. If you like..and this time of year it may help you..you can tip the twisters or tubes with a half a crawler.

Find an area like Massy (sp) draw at Chatty..or the point off the swim beach or the dune off the dam at the Creek. In the spring..cast out and jig the lure/bait back..this time of year..slowly drag it on the bottom..no hopping. When you feel any weight, give the fish/that weight you feel.. the tip of your rod..may take a moment or two before you know he has it...and then set the hook.

At Chatty...in a small boat...launch at the South Marina...when you get to the no wake buoys..take a right..good size flat right here and you can avoid a lot of the ski traffic out by the bridge or the old roadbed. You should be able to spend the entire day on that flat catching fish. Fish the top of the flat and all of the edges..Not going to say you'll catch any over 18 inches.
God tips there! Also if you have a safe boat, now is the time to troll Shad Raps, Flickers shad, etc 10-15 feet down over deep water. That is how we used to just kill them up at Glendo this time of the year! They suspend with the Shad. Especially if a lake has been drawn down for the summer! Everything can be out there suspended over the great abyss!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
True Neal. I use to kill them at Trinidad just dragging jigs and twisters from one shallow spot..30 foot or less to another. I'd hit that 60 foot of water..speed up to get to my next shallow spot in my toon and catch them suspended as I crossed the deep water. My jig was no where near the bottom as I crossed.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Gee thank you so much! I didn't think someone would actually tell me what to use and where to go! You must really be a "super moderator."

I've tried the search and it seems like pretty much everything I find is 4yrs old or more.
I didn't get thay title by accident! Make sure you lip those eyes when you land them too.

How big is your bro's boat?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I hear the Elich strain of walleye is quite verile.

They can only be caught between Alameda and Speer on the Platte though.

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Good tips, Hobie and Neal. Milehigh, there is a lot of information on here and other sites. I got some information on techniques and location by lurking on this site and other Colorado fishing websites. The rest is from reading material on the internet. However, the mechanical skills are best acquired with time on the water or with someone who is willing to take you out and show you how it is done. Just do your research. There is far more out there than what I or others could or would want to write here. GL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't get thay title by accident! Make sure you lip those eyes when you land them too.

How big is your bro's boat?
I figured your title would say master baiter. I will definitley be lipping all my walleye. Thats normal procedure is it not? His boat is only like 10' or something. He just got the new seats and trolling motor and a battery. He needs to register and thats about it.

I had a buddy to go fishing with that could teach me some things but he had to move all the way to glenwood!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I figured your title would say master baiter. I will definitley be lipping all my walleye. Thats normal procedure is it not? His boat is only like 10' or something. He just got the new seats and trolling motor and a battery. He needs to register and thats about it.

I had a buddy to go fishing with that could teach me some things but he had to move all the way to glenwood!
Everytime we go fishing I have to pull your ass out of the water. Just pay attention to aofisher and neal/co, those guys catch huge fish!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts